SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am planning to go cruising permanently (or at least, semi-permanently) in 3-4 years. I realize it takes some time to outfit a boat....

currently I am without a boat, and have been for the last 5 years. I want to get a boat soon to get back into the swing of things, but I am torn between buying the ''right'' boat for the long term, or getting a coastal cruiser in the short term and then either upgrading it or trading up for a better offshore boat later.

I''m leaning towards getting the ''right boat'' now, but the problem is that it takes soo much time ! The longer I wait, the less I can sail...

can anyone give me some advice ?

-Pat

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i would go for the right boat now. if you are planning to buy a used boat it could take 3 years to sort it out and do all the upgrades for offshore.
how big a boat were you looking at?
eric

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All things being equal, buying one boat now, knowing you are going to buy your ''real'' boat sometime later is never a good idea financially. Its expensive and often it is difficult to sell a boat.

Now is a good time to be a buyer. I might suggest the following:

1. Join a sailing club or some association like JWorld where you can sail THEIR boats. This is generally much cheaper than chartering and often you get access to different types of boats. You will get your sea legs back and learn more about boats.

2. Then spend at least 1 yr looking for your ultimate boat. I guarantee your thoughts will change in that time and you will end up with a different and better boat that you first thought you wanted.

You will save a lot of $$$ with the above approach.

Best of luck

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah okay here is the low-down.

I grew up on the water, in Nova Scotia, sailing since I was a little kid in dinghies etc. I really got into competitive dinghy sailing when I was a kid and then ended up teaching and coaching racers. When I got older I started crewing and racing on keelboats. All this time, my parents always had a boat in the 32'' range, and we went gunkholing around here and there (off of Nova Scotia). 5 days trips were the max though for longer voyages. I have been in seas taller than the mast, 50knots +, etc. etc.

That was all 5+ years ago. In the last 5 years all I have done is continue teaching dinghy sailors at the local club in the evenings and occasionally crewing for wed night races. This spring, I decided to go sailing again and my girlfriend and I bareboated a 42'' in the Carribean for 2 weeks. My folks joined me for 3 days as well (present back to them). I got bit by the bug again.

What I want to do is basically be able to do some coastal cruising where I live now (British Columbia) in and around the Gulf Islands, Vancouver Island, etc. It seems pretty tame out here compared to the Nova Scotia coast, but then again, maybe I only went out on ''tougher'' days. What I want to do long term is not ICW-type cruising but some extended voyaging. Depending on how happy we are with it, I might end up going all the way around. Worst case, I will just head south and do short hops but ideally I would like to do some sort of circumnav.

I am thinking that since I want to be able to do that, I should get a boat now that I would like. I''ve always been into performance sailing and always been into singlehanding, so I want a boat on the performance end of things that I can rig to be somewhat easily handled. But I also would like to use it locally for the first 2-3 years to get back into things, and also to set it up. I imagince taking some friends out now and then, etc. until I leave.

Hope that helps, I know I sound conflicting but I am trying to describe where I am at...

Thanks for all the info

-Pat

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i too plan to purchase a cruising sailboat or catamaran as soon as i can find a suitable craft. i am going to look at a 33'' prout quest tomorrow. i like the shallow draft & no heel of a cat but like the price & weight of a monohull. we plan to sail to the bahamas & south perhaps in time as far as costa rico. i am tyring to notice from articles the types of craft people are cruising on. price of course is a factor but i expect to have between $50-80,000 invested in a cruise equipped sailer. i so far believe tartan, pearson, prout, to be capable craft. i would like opinions on endeavor, irwin, ericson, & morgan. also i would appreciate pointers on items to watch for on cruise ready craft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.