SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took a couple of photos showing a mixed sky that we have right now as theres a developing bad blob just east of us, heading north but going to give us some squalls and stuff.

The reason I post it is for newer cruisers. I have a rule never to leave port on a "mixed sky". Its where you can see clouds at all three levels, low, mid and high.
Most of the sky here is pretty blue and doesnt look too bad at all for a sail or a day hop, or even a passage... But....

(Sorry for the large photos but I wanted the detail to stand out)

·
19,488 Posts
THAT's how I remember Simpson Lagoon.... not like your last pictures of the area!!

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Administrator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This particular one is brushing past and we may not get much at all. But the point is I wouldnt sail under those skys because then they are like that anthiny can happen and its unlikely to be nice :)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Wow. Thanks Mark.

This is exactly the kind of simple, experience-related info I like to see. Now I know what to look for as another indicator of what to expect with weather.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Wow. Thanks Mark.

This is exactly the kind of simple, experience-related info I like to see. Now I know what to look for as another indicator of what to expect with weather.
Agreed. Thanks Mark!

Smack, if you want to look up at the sky and know what the next several hours of weather will bring, that Alan Watts' Instant Weather Forecasting is for you. Buy it now, and practice on your home turf.

Basically it has pictures of the sky with layperson descriptions of what you're looking at and next to the picture is what to expect from the next few hours.

Instant Weather Forecasting: Alan Watts: 9781574091366: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%[email protected]@[email protected]@51%2Bp1yeynNL

MedSailor

·
Administrator
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'mixed sky', never heard the term.
Can also be called "Chaotic sky". In my American book "Weather for the Mariner" Admiral William Kotsch uses it so it may be the more accepted term in the USA.
He says: "small boatmen should avoid by putting into port -- or not leaving port" p67, 3rd Edition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts