SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Good job on making without scratching up the rocks off the cape at Cherbourg! I had the space in the engine compartment and put in a dual Racor system before the engine fuel filter and so far it has done a good job (apart from the episode where I had more water than fuel - no filter can keep up with that). I had a lot of gunk in the lines as well despite the fuel tank being clean.

Could the plastic piece have come into the system during the commissioning/installation process ?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Lol Mark - either you've been sipping at the medicinal alcohol or your spell-checker has :)

I does look nasty - did that black stuff also make it past your filter? Is that electrical connection under the filter for the water-warning buzzer?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Mark - As someone has already noted, the dual Racor doesn't run the fuel through both filters, just one. But if that filter becomes clogged I can switch over to the other filter with the engine still running and then have time to replace the other. I did this so that I can, when necessary, run the engine with bad fuel as long as I have sufficient clean filters for replacement. I have 30 micron filters in the Racors and the filter on the engine is a 2 micron one. When I replaced that filter it was still clean so the Racor is doing its job. The whole assembly is pretty big and you might not have enough room on your boat for it, but a single Racor with shut-off valves on both sides of it should be sufficient.

I have an electrical warning as well for water, but that didn't work when my engine ingested water or the wires might have worked but I heard no buzzer or alarm. Do you know if your water alarm is functional?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The water alarm is triggered when the resistance between the two wires drops. I'm not sure if diesel conducts much or not at all, but any water in the fuel will be contaminated enough to be a good conductor - so the alarm will go off when the resistance goes towards 0Ohm. This makes it easy to test if you can access the plug end of the alarm cables, just turn on the ignition (the engine doesn't have to be running) and short the two cables and listen to see if a buzzer goes off. I didn't test this on my engine because I couldn't get at the plug for the cable and wasn't going to drain the fuel filter again just to check this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.