SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cape Dory 27
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, new here, and this is my first post.

I recently bought a boat that came with a Harken III Unit 0 furler, which had been sitting horizontally on the hard for 2-3 years. I took it apart to clean and service it, and discovered that several of the foils are warped presumably from sitting out in the sun for so long.

Question is: do I need to fix this? Will it fix itself when I reassemble the furler and tighten the forestay? Here's a picture of them, they are not too bad:

Any help or advice greatly appreciated!

mikebikeboy

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
the aluminum foil does not warp from the sun it gets curved from the lowering of the mast by careless yard hands. they should be straight . some times they can be straightened by gently flexing them the opposite direction . looks like you have one that is still straight.

·
Registered
Cape Dory 27
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Overbored,

I tried straightening them by flexing them the opposite direction, but they spring back into their warped position without changing at all. With such springiness I am wondering if a metal bender would do the trick, the kind made of rollers that you crank the metal through.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
You might want to contact Harken to see what they suggest before putting them through a press that might also close the slots. Setting them up on the forestay might be all they need to straighten up and sail right.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
If i wanted to straighten them, id take apart the section for better handling and carefully tease them with a diy tubing bender
Can cut huge radius with plywood sheets

·
Registered
Cape Dory 27
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Harken responded with this:
As far as how they got bent I would have no idea. You could try to straighten them. What is important is if the swivel will slide over them. The foil joints are where the swivel might hang up.

·
Registered
Cape Dory 27
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Shock T, I will give that a try. I have a hunch you are right, as these foils are 6 feet long or so, and the stay will easily force them mostly straight

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
the forestay will not straighten them. they are not in tension when installed. ask me how i know. had some that looked like yours. yard bent the one on my last boat when stepping the mast and tried to tell me that they were already bent but they were brand new before they bent them, just installed . took 6 month before they replaced them so I straightened them pretty good by flexing them the opposite way and it does take a lot of pressure. put them in a wood vise and flex them until straight. if aluminum is flexed to point of deformation as your foils are then it will take even more force to deform them back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts