SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All,
I have been looking into a Skipper 20 as a likely sailboat for me and my family. I am not looking for anything fancy or fast, just forgiving and safe. I joined a yahoo group dedicated to same and enquired about one listed for sale. It was gone, but another member contacted me. He had one for sale with 75 pictures on the internet. The vessel seemed well cared for so I struck up a conversation. I was interested and agreed to meet with him. The boat is in a different state from me and also a different state from the owner who recently moved and has not yet moved the boat from his former home.
Problems began after I agreed to meet him to see the boat. He wanted me to send him a deposit to cover his travel expenses. I refused and the deal broke offer for a day or two. He then agreed to meet with me afterall at his expense. Then I wanted a seatrial, but he said no. I offered to pay for the seatrial and he said no, but he lowered the price by $500 to allow just a parking lot inspection. The price was sufficiently low that I agreed to buy the boat.
He then wanted cash or the money wired to him. He refused my off to bring a cashiers check from the bank. I was leary of traveling with that much cash and said that I would do the bank wire but not in advance. Thus the transaction would require a weekday morning (when the banks are open).
With that he called off the deal claiming that "sailors are not like used car salesmen".

Was I out-of-line here?
Thanks,
Glen

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It sounds like you may have dodged a bullet on this one...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Dear All,
He then wanted cash or the money wired to him. He refused my off to bring a cashiers check from the bank. I was leary of traveling with that much cash and said that I would do the bank wire but not in advance. Thus the transaction would require a weekday morning (when the banks are open).
With that he called off the deal claiming that "sailors are not like used car salesmen".

Was I out-of-line here?
Thanks,
Glen
Nope, you were not out of line and if it were me I'd start looking elsewhere and forget that character, he does not sound trustworthy at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It doesn't sound like it. It sounds alot like some of the scams that happen. Actually it raises a red flag to me when anyone brings up a question of their honesty... There wouldn't be a question if they were honest.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
You just ruined a scam-artist's day and save yourself a boat load of headaches, one too many red flags on this one

Dear All,
I have been looking into a Skipper 20 as a likely sailboat for me and my family. I am not looking for anything fancy or fast, just forgiving and safe. I joined a yahoo group dedicated to same and enquired about one listed for sale. It was gone, but another member contacted me. He had one for sale with 75 pictures on the internet. The vessel seemed well cared for so I struck up a conversation. I was interested and agreed to meet with him. The boat is in a different state from me and also a different state from the owner who recently moved and has not yet moved the boat from his former home.
Problems began after I agreed to meet him to see the boat. He wanted me to send him a deposit to cover his travel expenses. I refused and the deal broke offer for a day or two. He then agreed to meet with me afterall at his expense. Then I wanted a seatrial, but he said no. I offered to pay for the seatrial and he said no, but he lowered the price by $500 to allow just a parking lot inspection. The price was sufficiently low that I agreed to buy the boat.

Was I out-of-line here?
Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
122 Posts
Run away from this...fast. If it's not a scam he's at the very least a jerk and i wouldn't want to deal with him at all. No sea trial, funny money stuff, NO WAY.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't worry about it it sounded sketchy so just walk away, just to show you how may other boats there are i found this 2 min ago looks like a nice little boat probably not local for you but just figured id post it
1981 Skipper 20 Pocket Cruiser

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I agree. You did the right thing.

Good luck on your continued search. Definitely forget about that guy.

David

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Cover HIS expenses???????
He is the one selling the boat!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sounds to me this guy tried to sell you a make believe boat...you definitely DID the RIGHT thing! Even with his phoney baloney $500 discount....ya still have enough money to buy a REAL boat. Well done Glen! :)

·
SouthernComfort
59 Posts
I would be willing to bet that if you would have sent him the deposit, you would have never seen or heard from him again. Boat was probably not even his, hence the parking lot inspection.

His offer to sell you the boat after a deal on a website fell thru is another red flag. It is done alot like that all the time on ebay and other auction sites. You lose an auction and you soon get someone just like that offering to sell the exact item. scam. They always want you to wire transfer the cash.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Did you notice how many posts he had??

Dear All,
I have been looking into a Skipper 20 as a likely sailboat for me and my family. I am not looking for anything fancy or fast, just forgiving and safe. I joined a yahoo group dedicated to same and enquired about one listed for sale. It was gone, but another member contacted me. He had one for sale with 75 pictures on the internet.

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
I may be alone here, but at some level you are out of line but in most ways you were not. Here's how I see it, in most normal purchase deals. there is a third neutral party, typically a broker involved. When an offer is made, the buyer puts up 'good faith money', typically a 5-10%deposit to in effect show that they are serious. The third party holds the good faith money and may also hold the boat title.

The parties then negotiate a price and a contract that is contingent on a seatrial and a survey. The seatrial and survey take place. If unsatifactory the deposit goes back to the buyer and the deal is off, or further negotations take place. When all is satifactory, then the buyer authorizes the good faith money and payment to the seller before the seller transfers the title and boat to the buyer.

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The guy had been active in the yahoo group

Yes, the guy had several posts in the Yahoo group, not many but a few, over a two year period that led me to believe he really is a sailor and an owner of that vessel. On the other hand, the red flags were piling up. So, perhaps he's a legitimate but crusty sailor (some might use harsher terms) or a scam artist posing as the owner of that boat.

I'm just glad to know that my sailor-behavior was not out-of-line. I don't think I'll play again with anyone who refuses a sea trial, too much to learn in the water that cannot be appreciated on land.

Thanks for all of your replies. Your input goes a long way towards making me feel better about buying a boat.
Glen

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I may be alone here, but at some level you are out of line but in most ways you were not. Here's how I see it, in most normal purchase deals.
Usually, on a substantial purchase or when financing is involved, sure.

Let me tell you how mine went.

Saw private internet listing, exchanged e-mails.

Set appointment to meet owner at boat.

Inspected boat thouroughly, said I'd be in touch.

E-mailed and spoke about offer.

Brought cashiers check to sea trial.

Following sea trial, concluded sale at dock. (Title and Bill of sale signed)

Niether of us even asked the other to buy lunch!! :laugher

Catfish26 seller was either a fraud or too nuts to be worth dealing with!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts