SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Haven't been around here in a while. After a knee injury my boat has been sitting for a couple years. Today was first time I washed it. I notice after washing these little black spots kind of stayed on it. So to the point...notice in the images, what can I used to get rid of this? I scrubbed fairly hard with my brush to no luck. I used boat wash and wax and that awesome cleaning formula don't remember what it's called. I thought about trying to use bleach as I done with my previous boat. Is this a good choice? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,334 Posts
There is a blue gel that helps get hard to get stains out. I believe it has muriatic acid in it. A cheap source for this muriatic acid is dollar store toilet bowl cleaner. Spray it on and use a brush and water to scrub it off.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try and see how it does. I never let my boat go this long without washing it. Normally my usual boat wash and wax does the job when used often but not this time. She's just been sitting too long.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Looks like mold. Try Spray Nine or Tuf Enuf and and a stiff bristle brush. Some recommend Soft Scrub, which I might consider once to recover, but understand it is not good for gelcoat.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Looks like mold. Try Spray Nine or Tuf Enuf and and a stiff bristle brush. Some recommend Soft Scrub, which I might consider once to recover, but understand it is not good for gelcoat.
Many "cleaners" have some abrasives in them... compound for sure.. things like Cleaning Detail...

I don't think some abrasive is necessarily harmful to gelcoat, but polishing and buffing does make them more resistant to dirt adhering to the surface.

·
11,862 Posts
FSR is what we use.
Gloves

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Orange Off’s emulsifier safely dissolves adhesives, mold stains, grease, oil, lime deposits, oxidation and waterline stains and is considered the “Goo Gone” of the inflatable boat industry.

Orange Off contains no synthetic chemicals, petroleum distillates or harsh detergents that can damage inflatable boat tube fabrics.

Also works on plastic, fiberglass and injection molded kayaks and boat hulls.

When applying a repair fabric patch after using Orange Off, be sure to clean the area well with Toluene or MEK.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Orange Off makes a formula for fiberglass. I love their inflatable boat cleaner, it’s miraculous. Although, I’ve learned to tape a plastic bag over the registration sticker or it will come off. I’d certainly we willing to give their FG cleaner a shot.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Worse comes to worse On and Off. Like many others it’s acid. Have a hose in hand when using it. Regardless of what you use you’re going to need to use a cleaner wax after. If it’s been sitting for years it will have oxidation. Like to use separate cleaners/de oxidizing agents then pure wax. Prefer 3M or colinite products used with a electric buffer and a lot of pads. Some leave wax on unbuffed if they’re going to be on the hard for a long time.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Clorox Clean-Up

Don't just dismiss it as bleach because it isn't - I don't know what's all in it but for mould & green slime on boats I've never found anything better.

Spritz it on and leave it. Check it the next day - you may not even have to hose it off.

Reactions: RegisteredUser

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Agree with others that this looks like mold of some sort. I use this stuff when I have to remove mold on deck or exterior teak:

https://www.amazon.com/Clorox-Pool-Spa-XtraBlue-Algaecide/dp/B00PZZFL9K/ref=psdc_1272969011_t1_B00PZZFLHW

wear eye protection, keep it off the canvas, and expect it to bleach untreated teak.
This product is intended to be used at 100 ppm to kill algae in a pool. It contains a poly quaternary amine and copper sulfate.

Used as directed there is no way this will either clean or bleach teak. Used very strong it will bleach teak because it is acid. Please tell us how you used it, cus' I'm not seeing it for this purpose. It will kill the mold, sure, but any strong acid would do that. It's toxic to marine life and probably not an efficient cleaner.

I have used this chemistry in industry, mostly in cooling towers for algae control. But we would never discharge it at high concentration because of the copper.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sailguy,
How long have you owned this boat? The reason I ask is that I remember it from a marina were I kept a boat around 20 years ago. Guy that owned it worked at West Marine Part time. Is that you ???? I had the little yellow Pearson One Design named Moxie. I used to take it over to the Snot Club every other Saturday to annoy the doctors, lawyers, architects and accountants come race day.

·
Freedom isn't free
2,947 Posts
I had friends recommend to me "wet and forget" for this. I've used it since on my siding on my house and a couple times on the boat. It's mild and it seems to work. I'd go more concentrated than the bottle says for your application, but the suggestion on the bottle is to put it on and leave it on and let it air dry... come back after a day or so and then spray off. Seems to work. Used it also on our horse trailer, did a decent job. I'd try it first as its likely the least amount of work of the others.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This product is intended to be used at 100 ppm to kill algae in a pool. It contains a poly quaternary amine and copper sulfate.

Used as directed there is no way this will either clean or bleach teak. Used very strong it will bleach teak because it is acid. Please tell us how you used it, cus' I'm not seeing it for this purpose. It will kill the mold, sure, but any strong acid would do that. It's toxic to marine life and probably not an efficient cleaner.

I have used this chemistry in industry, mostly in cooling towers for algae control. But we would never discharge it at high concentration because of the copper.
I get green and sometimes black mold or algae in the intersection of teak and fiberglass on my boat. it forms over the winter and part of my spring "spruce up" is to use a capful of this stuff in a bucket. it cleans the that stuff quite well.

maybe the teak is not "bleached" but its much lighter .... maybe just clean?

I also soak any lines that have accumulated that green mold/mildew/algae.

I was just sharing something that worked for me, but if this is bad for the environment or not a great choice in general I'm happy to cease using it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sailguy,
How long have you owned this boat? The reason I ask is that I remember it from a marina were I kept a boat around 20 years ago. Guy that owned it worked at West Marine Part time. Is that you ???? I had the little yellow Pearson One Design named Moxie. I used to take it over to the Snot Club every other Saturday to annoy the doctors, lawyers, architects and accountants come race day.
Sorry for the late reply. It's not the boat in my profile pic if that's what you're referring to which was my oDay 22. This one is my Hunter 33 that I been owning for 7 years now. I sold the oDay shortly after buying my Hunter.

Thanks to all who had given some tips about cleaning this. I bought a few things mentioned and will try it out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts