SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. About to purchase a 35' sailboat, and I already know there's work involved. Needs some fiberglass work on deck, also needs new standing rigging, mast rewired, roller furling, new shaft seal, new transmission cupling, engine alignment...and some other general maintenance.

Rather than bringing it up to Canada from Washington where I'm purchasing it. I thought I would ask around if there is a good marina that can do it in WA. Prices in Vancouver are quite steep at most yards so I figured I'd try the US first.

Let me know if you've had a good experience or would recommend somewhere along the coast. If I can I'd like to avoid the trip too far south to Seattle, the boat is in Blaine, but perhaps it might be worth it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I haven't been to Colony wharf in Bellingham since 2011, but back then you could get someone to do most of what you are asking. I would recommend Charlies fiberglass if he is still alive, the diesel shop is OK. I did not like Northwest rigging out of Anacortes, but that doesn't mean they don't try to do quality work. They did my wire rigging and a new roller furler. The welding guy there is the best I have ever worked with, and is quite reasonable. Finally the guy that painted my bottom is in jail, you will have to find someone else.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rather than bringing it up to Canada from Washington where I'm purchasing it. I thought I would ask around if there is a good marina that can do it in WA. Prices in Vancouver are quite steep at most yards so I figured I'd try the US first.
I have used Seaview North in Bellingham and was very pleased with the work they did (through hulls, shaft, engine alignment, rudder foot). Ask for Aaron, he's their guy and he should take good care of you. Keep in mind it's full service yard and the prices reflect that, although I will say they were up front about costs and their estimates were pretty good, so no cost surprises (there were surprises in finding more things that needed to be done, but before they did anything they gave me cost estimates that were pretty accurate).

For more details of that yard experience you can read about it in painful detail here:
Yard life ? Sailing Idaho, the Salish Sea and beyond

Friends who live in Bellingham like Colony Wharf as I think you can get on the hard for less there, but I think (maybe not?) you might expect to have to be more hands on in getting contractors in to do various pieces of work there and sort of manage your own project. But no personal experience.

For rigging Seaview actually recommended I call Northwest Rigging in Anacortes... I used them for an in the water replacement of forestay and installation of new furler (they did charge for travel to B'ham)... unlike the previous poster I had a good experience with them so not sure what made the difference there. I did have a scheduling mix up at first (made a plan with them, then when talked to them a few days beforehand they seemed to have never heard of me), but they worked it out and the gentleman who eventually came and did the work (Kent) was extremely nice and very thorough, so maybe just ask for him by name and see what happens.

(Disclaimer: other than unplanned fresh water pump replacement while out in Roche Harbor, I've never used a yard other than Seaview or a rigger other than Northwest Rigging so I don't have much of anything to compare it too).

-- Bass

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't been to Colony wharf in Bellingham since 2011, but back then you could get someone to do most of what you are asking. I would recommend Charlies fiberglass if he is still alive, the diesel shop is OK. I did not like Northwest rigging out of Anacortes, but that doesn't mean they don't try to do quality work. They did my wire rigging and a new roller furler. The welding guy there is the best I have ever worked with, and is quite reasonable. Finally the guy that painted my bottom is in jail, you will have to find someone else.
I like the story behind everyone on your list, was the guy who painted the bottom good? Maybe I could post bail! :)

Appreciate your insights.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I like the story behind everyone on your list, was the guy who painted the bottom good? Maybe I could post bail! :)

Appreciate your insights.
I have painted my own bottom since then. Save yourself the heartache and learn to do it now. It's part of boat ownership for all but the rich.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have painted my own bottom since then. Save yourself the heartache and learn to do it now. It's part of boat ownership for all but the rich.
I jest. But yes I plan to, that and fixing a bunch of blisters. I'd rather build up the sailing kitty than put a boatyard through college.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts