SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To Our Valued Guests and Exhibitors,

After much thought and deliberation, we have decided to reschedule the 2009 Washington Boat Show until Presidents’ Day weekend, Thursday, February 11 through Monday, February 15, 2010.

The Washington Boat Show exists to serve the dreams and realities of the Mid-Atlantic boating community. It is our opinion that neither the marine dealers’ interests nor the enjoyment of the boating public would be furthered by producing a show in the current economic climate.

We appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing you next year.

Sincerely,

The Washington Boat Show

The 48th Annual Washington Boat Show

Guess I'm going to Baltimore this week-end!!

That's just poor scheduling to have DC/Baltomore shows so close.

I guess it's better just to pass it off as Recession Hysteria!!

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Didn't the DC show specialize in really big yachts anyway? I received a flyer in the mail for it and it gave me the impression that they were showing boats for folks well beyond my tax bracket.

Oh, wait. I'm thinking of the flyer from the show at National Harbor, not at the Convention Center.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Along with the Strictly Sail show (which is in two weeks), Chicago also hosts another large Power Boat and RV show. I wandered around that show last week. The exhibitor attendance was down at least 30 percent from prevoius years. I found it to be depressing.
Its a sign of the times I guess.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, wait. I'm thinking of the flyer from the show at National Harbor, not at the Convention Center.
That is the new "Mega-Yacht" show.

I'll be missing that one!!

People tell me Harbor Place is quite a venue though.

I'd like to rent a Sunfish on the Potomac and sail over there!!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I just hope that some builders can survive. Its too bad they can't just call time out, until things start turning around, but I'm afraid we'll likely see the end of more good boat builders before then.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
The 48th Annual Washington Boat Show

Guess I'm going to Baltimore this week-end!!

That's just poor scheduling to have DC/Baltomore shows so close.

I guess it's better just to pass it off as Recession Hysteria!!
There's always the Carolina Power and Sailboat show. Feb 20-22 at the Raleigh Fairgrounds. I haven't been yet but I'm gonna hit it this year.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
Maybe some answers *with some bias*

I work with the folks who put on the Washington Auto Show. They are NOT connected in anyway with the boat show people. But some similarities do apply. In general setting dates of shows is difficult for sure. With the show at the DC Convention Ctr they have to deal with the hotel people who want to sell beds in the area. Since the DC auto show is a local visitors show (no heads on beds) they aren't a favorite. Sure there are all the show folks who rent rooms but the hotel people want more. Also, there are all the other events in town to contend with, the inauguration, the Auto Show, the Flower show, not to mention all the smaller association conventions that are held. Add all those factors to the bad economy and it isn't surprising that the show ran into problems. I wish them the best of luck, but when you switch dates you will be losing customers.

So, if you have show fever and want to come see a great one, come on down to the Convention Center Feb 4-8 and see a full convention center with all the new cars (OK, this is a shameless plug for one of my business dealings).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts