SailNet Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am down in the Norfolk area and am considering taking the boat up to Washington. I spent 10 years as a Navy Reserve officer at the Pentagon so I have seen most of the city several times. My desire is of the bucket list variety, it seems like something one should do. Like all cruisers my funds are limited so I am trying to figure out how much it will cost and where to stay.

Assistance please:)

·
Superior Sailor
1,031 Posts
Fort Washington Marina (MD)...5-6 miles from the capitol bay, good food on site, and cheap prices for dockage....15 minute cab ride if you want to go downtown

·
Advanced beginner
642 Posts
I believe your choices are (I can't speak to cost of these choices):

Gangplank Marina (right on the mall, might be hard to get a visitor slip, an entrance I wouldn't want to navigate - under a bridge near a lot of cruise boats)

Washington Sailing Marina (biggest marina inside the beltway, near National Airport, which makes it sound more metro accessible than it is. But it's an easy cab or bike to downtown, even if you don't rent a car.

National Harbor Marina (don't know much about this one except there are no public transit options - since I don't have a car I hardly go).

James Creek Marina (I don't know much about this marina but the neighborhood nearby has improved and it's definitely close to downtown and mass transit)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
be sure to check the notices and security restrictions...most of the DC waterway is pretty locked down when the big guy is doing things, or large crowd functions are in town. Water borne security is almost always around, and don't hesitate to act.....just too close to critical infrastructure. Not the time to be grousing about boardings or heave to...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hmmmm.... Cruising away from the ocean and open water, big city, limited funds, no desire except "it seems like something one should do." I'd revise the bucket list, personally.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You can anchor right off gangplank. I believe their are fees for the various dinghy docks, but certainly less than transient slip fees.

As for the entrance to gangplank, what bridge? I don't see anything on the charts beyond the Woodrow Wilson.

·
Advanced beginner
642 Posts
I drive by Gangplank almost everyday and I see a fair number of boats docked past a bridge (entrance ramp to 365, I think). However, checking on line I see the marina stretches well to other side of the bridge, so it's probably not an issue.

·
Advanced beginner
642 Posts
But call ahead and make sure they are still there. They are doing a ton of construction on the DC waterfront and it sounds like it might shut down the marina. (Still looked like it was there this week, though)

·
Battered and Bruised
494 Posts
If you are still affiliated with the military and have an ID Card you can check out the Joint Base Anacostia Bolling marina. Military marina will be the least expensive slip, not far from town. No metro access though.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmmm.... Cruising away from the ocean and open water, big city, limited funds, no desire except "it seems like something one should do." I'd revise the bucket list, personally.
The more I look at this the more I am coming to agree with you. Its not a bad drive from Pax River or Norfolk and I am not really sure why I want to go. Not to mention the cost of motoring up and down the Potomac.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
I think you should go to Annapolis and then you can always take ground transportation to DC about an hour away. Stay off the shallow, winding Potomac. Endless destinations to explore in the upper Chesapeake.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Click over to ActiveCaptain.com, register (for free) and use the Interactive Cruising Guidebook to view the location of marinas, mooring/anchorage locations and other details in the area with reviews/comments by other Cruisers.

·
Advanced beginner
642 Posts
(I spent a few years sailing on the Potomac while I was first learning to sail. There's a reason that when I bought a boat I put it on the Chesapeake, even though it's much further away. As sailing grounds go, there's no comparison. I still get a kick out of the fact that I can put my boat on a beam reach and not tack until I want to turn around to go home.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts