SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a government employee who is locked out of work, I was thinking catching up on sailing and boat projects might be the silver lining on a government shutdown, especially one that does not last very long. So I went to the Washington Sailing Marina where I keep my boat, and I was told that the marina is on National Park Service land, so it is shut down. I cannot work on my boat there or park my car. If I sail my boat out, I will not be allowed to return until the government is funded!

Purportedly, this is because the Park Service is not funded. However, NPS does not run the marina directly. They contracted the operation to a private service, and I have a contract with that service to keep my boat at the marina and use it. I don't think there is anything in my contract about a government shutdown. I am already paying an inflated price to keep my boat on a trailer and get no services other than having the grass cut every now and then, and having a guard station at the entrance manned some of the time. Now I am told I cannot use my boat while I have the time. How is this not a unilateral taking of privileges I paid for?

Does anybody have any idea if there is any way to challenge this closure that seems to be related to the government shutdown not in a practical and logical way, but rather in a political and capritious one, designed to do nothing but make sure that the disturbance is felt widely.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plight. Your post comes across as understandably frustrating. Unfortunately, if this thread turns into another government/political discussion it will have to be moved to OT.

Reactions: Seaduction

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would get together with other people in your marina and consult with an attorney. I doubt anyone here will be able to give you a solution outside of just "wait it out".

That and, maybe, contact one of your elected officials.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think about the ONLY way you might get some help is to go to the press. But they might just pass on it as we boaters seem to be low on the food chain.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your plight.

Greg

·
Registered
122 Posts
As a government employee who is locked out of work, I was thinking catching up on sailing and boat projects might be the silver lining on a government shutdown, especially one that does not last very long. So I went to the Washington Sailing Marina where I keep my boat, and I was told that the marina is on National Park Service land, so it is shut down. I cannot work on my boat there or park my car. If I sail my boat out, I will not be allowed to return until the government is funded!

Purportedly, this is because the Park Service is not funded. However, NPS does not run the marina directly. They contracted the operation to a private service, and I have a contract with that service to keep my boat at the marina and use it. I don't think there is anything in my contract about a government shutdown. I am already paying an inflated price to keep my boat on a trailer and get no services other than having the grass cut every now and then, and having a guard station at the entrance manned some of the time. Now I am told I cannot use my boat while I have the time. How is this not a unilateral taking of privileges I paid for?

Does anybody have any idea if there is any way to challenge this closure that seems to be related to the government shutdown not in a practical and logical way, but rather in a political and capritious one, designed to do nothing but make sure that the disturbance is felt widely.
Dammit man, you got screwed coming and going - can't work, AND can't go sailing!

Somebody here should take you sailing, that's all there is to it.

I'd take you, if I lived in Virginia ... and if I had a boat ...

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Kayak in and if they ask, tell them you been there for weeks. "Shutdown, what shutdown?"

Reactions: krisscross

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Now I am told I cannot use my boat while I have the time. How is this not a unilateral taking of privileges I paid for?
A couple of points:
First, "unilateral taking of privileges" is redundant. If it was BILATERAL, it wouldn't be taking.
Second, oh well. I'll file this under "dysfunctional first world problems."
Third, yes, it is a private contractor but it is NPS property, so if the NPS is shut down, you are SOL. The hotdogs are Wrigley Field are provided by a contractor who contracts space from the venue. If you liked the hotdogs at Wrigley Field, would you be pissed that you cannot get a hotdog when there is not a game being played?
Fourth, if the price is inflated, why would you keepyour boat there in the first place?
Fifth, if it is on a TRAILER, take it to a public launch and launch it and retrieve it. Come on, it's an obstacle, not a barrier- adapt and overcome!
Sixth, If i am coming up with all these points and you haven't, is it any wonder why some people wonder how essential unessential furloughed government workers are? Come on man, show some creative problem solving!

·
Registered
23,864 Posts
Who's going to stop you from returning? When you tie back up in your slip, does the government have "essential personnel" that will cut you loose?

Go use your boat and don't worry about it.

·
Doesn't sail enough
623 Posts
Eh. Get on the boat, one way or another. Then head downstream and don't look back :)

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
You mean provision of sailing support is not considered an essential service? Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: jrd22

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
You should not pay these bastards for the days you were shut off your boat. No service = no pay.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What you need to get them to relent is a couple WWII vets in wheelchairs and some congressman willing to grandstand. Second part should be easy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it is a private contractor but it is NPS property, so if the NPS is shut down, you are SOL. The hotdogs are Wrigley Field are provided by a contractor who contracts space from the venue. If you liked the hotdogs at Wrigley Field, would you be pissed that you cannot get a hotdog when there is not a game being played?
Fourth, if the price is inflated, why would you keepyour boat there in the first place?
Fifth, if it is on a TRAILER, take it to a public launch and launch it and retrieve it. Come on, it's an obstacle, not a barrier- adapt and overcome!
Sixth, If i am coming up with all these points and you haven't, is it any wonder why some people wonder how essential unessential furloughed government workers are? Come on man, show some creative problem solving!
I don't see the similarity with your hot dogs example. A better comparison would be if I bought a season ticket and they told me the games will still be played, but I cannot go because they oversold regular tickets. You bet I would be unhappy.

The point of the shutdown is, when the government employees are furloughed, there is nobody to provide certain services. In a typical National Park, there is nobody to man the gates, guide people, make sure they are safe, clean up the place etc. In this case, it is not government workers doing all that. The cost of those services does not come out of appropriated funds. It comes from the fees I and others at the marina paid already. I mentioned the price is overinflated so you know that there is no federal subsidy for the operation. They charge at least as much any other marina, but do not necessarily provide the same level of service.

I keep the boat there because the location is convenient. Other public boat ramps on the Potomac are also on NPS property and they are closed. They even roped off little parking lots along the river with 10-15 parking spaces and nothing else. Tell me this is not about making a statement!

If I had the boat on a dock, I would probably just go anyway. With the boat on a trailer and a locked gate at the entrance to the marina, i don't think it is a great idea to drive over the grass to get in, especially considering the shooting on Capitol Hill yesterday.

Your creative solutions are perhaps viable, but my boat is more of a large day sailor and any scenario would involve more driving and a couple of hours every day stepping and unstepping the mast. I would also have to keep the boat at home. My street has such a camber that I need to fill it in with some wood so that trailer can back into my driveway without getting hung up. No showstoppers, but a lot of minor headaches. I paid somebody to avoid these headaches. If it was any other business, they would have no leg to stand on and there would be a clear course of action to get them to deliver what they promised. Apparently you have to be especialy careful when you do business with an unreliable government!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
If it's not gated with a guard then it's not closed.
If it is gated with a guard isn't that what it's supposed to be, just walk on by.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
In this case, it is not government workers doing all that. The cost of those services does not come out of appropriated funds. It comes from the fees I and others at the marina paid already.
Interesting. The Navy-Air Force football game at the Naval Academy was allowed to proceed on the basis of the program being funded by non-appropriated funds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts