1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Yeah you can thank a particular religious community up here for that particular outbreak. Apparently it started in one school where very few students were vaccinated, and then started to spread to the general population.

Honestly, in this day and age I think it is completely irresponsible not to immunize your children against things like the measles! It's not as if it is some new thing, we have been immunizing our population for years...it is proven safe.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
She was at a rock concert??? Then the pike place market, then all over town? Crap! Measles is spread by the airborne route, no touching or close contact required.

Well... all those patients to came to my clinic and spouted their whackjob conspiracy reasons not to vaccinate their kids are all going to be okay because THEY are all vaccinated. Their kids they were "advocating" for, hopefully will be okay too.

This could get bad....

MedSailor

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Yes they will be ok, and most of us who were immunized will be ok. On the other hand they are not just putting their own kids at risk, they are also endangering all those young children who are too young to be vaccinated. Not to mention the added costs to our health care system caused by their refusal to immunize. Perhaps they should foot the bill themselves!

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Morons - that bible belt in the valley is beyond belief - they even have cases of polio cropping up now & again.

Anybody that stupid should have their children removed by the Ministry - if they aren't unfit, who is?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Usually parents who choose not to vaccinate their kids get away with it because the majority of kids in the community are vaccinated. This is sometimes referred to as herd immunity, the idea that illness can not spread if a critical portion of individuals are immune. The reality is those with poor judgment end up relying on the responsible parents to keep all their kids safe.

Things go bad when too many people in one area are not immune, or an at risk person visits an area where the suspect illness is common. Both things seem to have played a role in this case, and now we as tax payers will spend a lot of funds chasing it down and trying to keep at risk kids safe.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Yes they will be ok, and most of us who were immunized will be ok. On the other hand they are not just putting their own kids at risk, they are also endangering all those young children who are too young to be vaccinated. Not to mention the added costs to our health care system caused by their refusal to immunize. Perhaps they should foot the bill themselves!
This is really what it's all about for me. My 2 year old finally is fairly well pincushioned, but during the early days, he could have gotten something entirely preventable from an unvaccinated person. Currently my wife is pregnant with our second (which lowers her immune system) and so she is now at risk, and if an epidemic starts, baby number 2 will be at risk.

MedSailor

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Usually parents who choose not to vaccinate their kids get away with it because the majority of kids in the community are vaccinated. This is sometimes referred to as herd immunity, the idea that illness can not spread if a critical portion of individuals are immune. The reality is those with poor judgment end up relying on the responsible parents to keep all their kids safe.

Things go bad when too many people in one area are not immune, or an at risk person visits an area where the suspect illness is common. Both things seem to have played a role in this case, and now we as tax payers will spend a lot of funds chasing it down and trying to keep at risk kids safe.
It's not poor judgement, it's STUPIDITY.

Luckily, because of the preponderance of said morons out in the bible belt, we never go there, just pass through at 100+ on the No. 1.

We owe an apology to our American cousins for this embarrassing fiasco. I suspect it made its way south via the corresponding bible belt along the border east of the I5 corridor.

I'd have no problem with this sort of active Darwinism but for the fact that it's mostly innocent children who suffer from their parents brain damage.

Do I sound angry?

Good, because I am livid. :mad:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I really think parents who refuse to immunize their kids should be charged with negligent homicide if their kids become vectors. I doubt it will happen, but the idea that people won't vaccinate their kids is just crazy to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts