SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I keep getting wasp that appear to be trying to nest inside my mast (enter through the internal haylard holes), and also try to nest under the mainsail cover while sitting at dock.

What is best repellant to use? If I spray with wasp spray will it damage my haylards, paint, sails, or fiberglass.

Regards

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
take the boat out sailing. Wasps are not really into sailing. you can spray up into the mast with bug spray and they will leave. soak a rag with bug spray and hoist up to the opening. most bug spray is used around furniture and it should not hurt the boat

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
We had the same problem with yellow jackets getting inside the outside wall of our house. The pest control person injected a white powder substance that really solved the problem. Yes, the liquid spray is really "hot" stuff" and may very well do damage, you might want to try a very small test spot. Some of the sprays we have used also have an oily base which is very hard to remove, probably not good for sails and halyards. I think the pest control people have access to materials that we can't get, maybe better to just hire one and have done with it?

Paul T

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take the boat out sailing. Wasps are not really into sailing. you can spray up into the mast with bug spray and they will leave. soak a rag with bug spray and hoist up to the opening. most bug spray is used around furniture and it should not hurt the boat
I have taken the boat out after apparently getting rid of the wasp at the dock, only to find them back on the boat in a few days after being docked. It is also hard to even take the boat out when the wasps are under the sail cover and inside the mast, need to fight them off just to get to the main sail. You would be surprised, I have been sailing in 20 knot winds only to have these wasp come out of the mast, fly around the boat, then go back into the mast.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had the same problem with yellow jackets getting inside the outside wall of our house. The pest control person injected a white powder substance that really solved the problem. Yes, the liquid spray is really "hot" stuff" and may very well do damage, you might want to try a very small test spot. Some of the sprays we have used also have an oily base which is very hard to remove, probably not good for sails and halyards. I think the pest control people have access to materials that we can't get, maybe better to just hire one and have done with it?

Paul T
Thanks, that was my other concern, spray some of the stuff on the deck and turn it into an ice rink, while trying to get away from a swarm of wasps.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Thanks, that was my other concern, spray some of the stuff on the deck and turn it into an ice rink, while trying to get away from a swarm of wasps.
Right, we have found they return to the same spot in the house every year. They must tell their friends where to go before we kill them. Not sure what to use but I think it has to be something injected into the mast that they don't like and will last long enough to break the return cycle. We used to suspend a piece of meat above a bucket of water with detergent in it. They would eat until they dropped into the water and drowned. Worked pretty well but is slow and hard to get all of them. Probably the commercial yellow jacket traps are as good. We use these and catch LOTS of them:

Amazon.com: Rescue YJTR-DT12 Reusable Yellow Jacket Trap: Patio, Lawn & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41BybUrq5aL

Paul T

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think dropping some moth balls into the mast and boom and maybe a bag under the sail cover would deter them?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Do you think dropping some moth balls into the mast and boom and maybe a bag under the sail cover would deter them?
I'd say that this is definitely worth trying out. I'm sure that they would find it difficult to ignore that smell.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
A good solid capsize or two ought to fix your problem, and you'd get a BFS out of it to boot!

I second the wasp traps and love the idea of hoisting one up to where they go in as well. As for moth balls I HATE the smell of those things and the smell does linger. Be sure you're okay with that because if you drop a couple in the mast you might end up with a boat that smells like moth balls.

Premethrin is what most bug spray is these days and they saturate baby's mosquito nets in the stuff in Africa. It's very safe for humans, is wickedly toxic to cats and I have no idea how it is for ropes, sails and canvas.

I'd try the traps and moth balls if you can stand them.

MedSailor

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I just remembered that you can buy premethrin concentrate and wash you clothes and stuff in it to impregnate them with the stuff. Some brands of clothes already have this stuff in the clothes. Looks like it's safe for clothes and equipment.

I'd say spray away, especially around the openings. It stays and kills for quite a while. We sprayed our door threshold with premethrin and even after a couple rains we see dead spiders who tried to enter at the door and died.

From a premethrin fabric treatment website: (btw it is VERY toxic to marine life so try and minimize the amount you get in the water):
Sawyer® Products - Water Filtration, Insect Repellent, Sunblocks and More
Q. Will Permethrin ruin my clothes or equipment?
A. No. Permethrin will not damage clothes or equipment. Unlike DEET, which may harm some fabrics and materials, Permethrin is compatible for use even on fragile fabrics such as silk, plus all synthetics and waterproof membrane fabrics. Permethrin will not affect plastics or finishes. IF IN DOUBT, try a sample on an obscure surface area, especially on delicates and check it after 24 hours of exposure.

Sawyer® Permethrin Insect Repellent is odorless, non-greasy and non-staining after it dries. Permethrin can be harmful to aquatic creatures such as fish, so do not spray Permethrin around fish aquariums.

MedSailor

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A good solid capsize or two ought to fix your problem, and you'd get a BFS out of it to boot!

I second the wasp traps and love the idea of hoisting one up to where they go in as well. As for moth balls I HATE the smell of those things and the smell does linger. Be sure you're okay with that because if you drop a couple in the mast you might end up with a boat that smells like moth balls.

Premethrin is what most bug spray is these days and they saturate baby's mosquito nets in the stuff in Africa. It's very safe for humans, is wickedly toxic to cats and I have no idea how it is for ropes, sails and canvas.

I'd try the traps and moth balls if you can stand them.

MedSailor
I'll give it a try. Mast is deck stepped so no problem there. I'll look into the premethrin.
Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Use chrysanthemum oil as part of a wasp-repelling spray. Hot peppers contain a compound called capsaicin, which burns wasps on contact and drives them away. Cut up half a cup of hot peppers, then pour a pint of boiling water over the peppers. After they cool, discard them and pour the water into a spray bottle. Add 4 or 5 drops of chrysanthemum oil to the water. The combination of the chrysanthemum scent and the burn of capsaicin repels wasps. Spray down areas like patios every few days with the solution to keep them wasp-free.

The oil can be purchased at aromatherapy supply stores or natural food shops. Chrysanthemum blooms contain a compound called pyrethrum, a natural insecticide effective against wasps and other flying insects. Along with the scent of the flowers, the oil has traces of pyrethrum in it.

Maybe putting the solution on a rag and putting it under the sail cover might help for a longer period. I dont know if it would damage sails if it was to come in contact.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
I've found that you must completely irradicate the nest. even the smallest trace left intact and the blighters will come back.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sevin in powder form kills everything with just a small puff. You can put some in a small sandwich bag with the corner clipped off and just kinda spray the stuff into the holes, or just get a cheap puffer from ebay. As the wasps touch it they bring it back to their nest and it kills everything in the nest within two-three days. Plus, it sticks around a few months to keep them away while the wasp pheromones get weaker.

·
Needing Apehanger Helm
495 Posts
Sevin ! dear god ...

Dishsoap & water in a pan with a handle on it will kill them all & nest.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I keep getting wasp that appear to be trying to nest inside my mast (enter through the internal haylard holes), and also try to nest under the mainsail cover while sitting at dock.

What is best repellant to use? If I spray with wasp spray will it damage my haylards, paint, sails, or fiberglass.

Regards
For wasps to be so common on your boat ...... and such 'mud daubers' REQUIRE the living carcasses of SPIDERS to grow their 'young' ... remove or kill any and all excess spiders you find in your area.
There are 'spider repellents' available to help keep the spider population in check: Amazon.com: Star brite Spider Away Natural Spider Repellent, 22 oz: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41hFZCLyRYL You can also do a websearch for DIY 'spider repellents' and use them on the adjacent areas where you keep your boat.

The less/least population of spiders the less/least population of 'mud dauber' wasps. Mud daubers require a large population of spiders to feed upon and to lay their egg in.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Regards
Not sure why, but your post reminds me of this old thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/10349-swarm.html

I always laugh at that thread!!!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wasp Update:
Yesterday go down to the boat to check on my wasp. None to be found on the boat or flying around. I had some moth balls so decide to drop about 10 in the mast through the haylard outlets. Also dropped 10 into the boom. Took a month ball and rubbed it on the sail cover and main sail. Then taped the mast openings with painters tape. As I was putting the tape on the mast, a wasp flew towards me and was going to go in the mast hole, but it seemed to get a hit from the moth balls and left- never to be seen again. Hope to sail this weekend so will see how it goes. Don't know if there is a nest on board, or if they are just preparing to make a nest, hope when I go down to the boat there is not an angry crew of wasp wainting for me on the deck.

I did look at ingredients for Raid wasp spray. It is 99% petroleum products and I called Raid- they do not reccomend using it on a boat. Also, the stuff seems pretty hazardous to marine life.

·
2,447 Posts
Don't over think it.

Mud wasps were a real problem at our marina this spring after a mild winter. They got into my AC discharge line and clogged it with what looked like cement, they got into the mast and under the sail cover into the folds of the sail. A couple of them even tried to start a nest under the hatch boards stacked on deck while we were working on the boat!

I just got a two pack of Spectracide (sp?) wasp and hornet spray, cracked a beer and watched where they were going. I waited until dusk and hosed those areas down. No more wasps.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
We had a similar problem this past summer with paper wasps taking up residence in our mast, reaching strut, life-sling storage bag and under our sail cover between weekends. Based upon some research, I made up a mix consisting of two cups of water, a cap full of liquid dish soap and a couple of tablespoons of Oil of Mint (Oil of Pepper can also be used but I could not find any at our local markets). Mixed and placed in a spray bottle, after cleaning out the nests we could find/reach, we sprayed this into the openings on the mast we could reach and the other items listed. By the following weekend, the critters were all but gone. I have continued applications from time-to-time and the critters have not reappeared.

FWIW...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts