SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For whatever reason: after my last 2 pumpouts (I'm on a weekly service on a mooring) my bladder will instantly fill back up with salt water. Its not just a little bit either: It completely fills my 25 gallon bladder very quickly.

I just bought the boat about 3 months ago and have been living on it since and this has never been an issue until this point. As far as I can tell the only source in for saltwater is through a seacock (I didn't assemble this head). I'm just trying to find out any other, less obvious ways the bladder may be filling.

Any suggestions would be lovely

·
Sailor
934 Posts
I'm guessing that the vent may be blocked so the vacuum sucks in seawater slowly? Do you have trouble flushing? Or maya be the upside down U anti-siphon valve is clogged. Maybe you don't have one installed?? Those are the 3 main possibilities to check out as far as I can see.

Tod

Mandolin, Bayfield 36 out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Your bladder is probably below your waterline and is allowing the seawater to 'back fill' into the bladder .
Close your through-hull or install a 'vented loop' (vacuum breaker) on the discharge to through-hull portion of the 'overboard' discharge hose.
If you already have a 'vented loop' clean out or replace the teeny rubber 'air vent valve' in the top of the 'loop'.

;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I'm looking at right now. The big box is the bladder. The in arrows are through hulls and the out is my pumpout cover. The closed line on the right is a shower hookup. ignore that. the big "U' is a vertical u that gores up abouve the water line. The other connection out of the through hull goes directly to waste. As far as i can tell theres no vacuum installed right now and the waterline issue is a very real possibility. I'll try closing that through hull and see if it is filled on the next pumpout.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yup I think I understand; and if so, closing that overboard through hull will be the solution ... especially if the bladder is mounted at or below the waterline.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
closed it. hopefully next pumpout goes a little better. Thanks!

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Your through-hull is not plumbed in a safe way. It needs to go to a vented loop that is (well) above the waterline before being plumbed into the tank. As is you can never open that through hull.

Don't forget the legalities of when you can open that through hull as well. My through hull stays ziptied into the closed position until I cross the border into Canada.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not that I can track down. I hadn't had issues with the system this far so I hadn't really checked for one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy who owned this boat before me only had it for about 6 months and he didn't really know much about boats and he did some very strange looking plumbing. That valve between the through hull and the bladder was put there by him but all it really serves to do is block sewage from getting to the bladder. I think he meant to put it before that split. I've got some plumbing in my future, methinks

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
there should be a Y valve so you can pump the head to either the holding tank or overboard.

Reactions: RichH

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"my bladder will instantly fill "
A good urologist can help that. (G)

While you're troubleshooting, is there anything in between the bladder and the hull? If you add something to prevent chafe, a bladder will last a long time. If it rubs against the hull, you may find sewage in the bilge one day.

Rubber tire strip door mats, heavy polythene, outdoor carpet mats, all sorts of things have different pros and cons but the important point it to use anything in there to prevent the bladder from rubbing and puncturing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think besides stating loudly that as configured, any fitting failure will currently lead to your sinking, I think it is worth noting: if water is getting into your system, sewage is getting out. I am assuming that is frowned upon in FL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
there should be a Y valve so you can pump the head to either the holding tank or overboard.

Yeah I'm buying the parts to fix this situation now. I'm realizing a lot of what the interim owner did, in terms of "repairs" were sort of shoddy.

EDIT: In the mean time the seacock is closed so hopefully no more unintentional waste dumping and no unintentional sinking

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
If a hair/blade of grass fouls the inlet valve (close bowl) it will continue to weep from water source and either over flow the bowl or run on into the bladder. I usually bring every thing up over the wl and vent all together to atmosphere on the cabin side .

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can also purchase a check valve which can be installed inboard of the seacock. It only allows liquid to flow in one direction. That way you aren't spending a ton of time, effort, and rubber gloves dealing with a u-bend, and you don't have to worry about running below to close the seacock in tandem with the pump boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts