SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Coronado 23 that is set up to have a head in the v-berth. I've gotten by for the last year without a head (just ye olde bucket), but we are planning some overnight trips and lately have had some guests who are not as comfortable with the options when nature calls :)

I've been looking at various heads - composting, porta potty, etc, but since the holding tank is pretty small and we could get by with only using it for urine, I'm hesitant to drop $500+ for something.

I understand the regulations about dumping, and I can't get a certain idea out of my head - is there any kind of product that can treat/neutralize urine so that it's safe to dump? It seems to me there would be some chemical that could dissolve after each use so that urine could be flushed directly out. If not, someone should get on it because I'm sure there would be plenty of demand from sailors like me!

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
So the federal laws state that it's illegal to dump urine if it is collected aboard, even in a bucket. However, it's not illegal to pee directly into the ocean.

There are treatment options, but they're not simple chemicals. They're very expensive installations and they're called a Type I MSD.

Pee isn't going to harm the fish, so I'd just go ahead and dump it. But of course, that'd be breaking the law, so you decide what you're comfortable with.

MedSailor

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I use to get by with FOUR people weekending on a J24 with a porta potty on my current Cal 29 we use a sealand traveler which is a porcelain head mounted directly over the tank

So it flushes with TINY amounts of water and goes a very long way

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.