SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow, I didn't think I would spur such a spirited debate and I'm really surprised so many people here don't religiously where iconic watches like Rolex, Breitling and Omega...either in their daily personally life or while on board.

I agree, you can spend a couple hundred bucks and have all the watch you need but nothing has the sailing, diving and seamanship status of the iconic Rolex......

· Registered
601 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, are you rich because you have a little boat and can afford 2 (two) Rolexes, or do you have a little boat because you are not rich after buying 2 (two) Rolexes that's all you could afford?:)
Super fair question. I have a little boat because (a) I'm on a lake (b) I had never sailed before (c) I single hand all the time.

I actually started out after my ASA classes looking for a Catalina 30 and while on a cruise with a seller I realized this was crazy considering I wasn't sure this was 100% for me and I was only one guy.....so I decided to start with a C22 and work my way up....

Actually the fallacy that Rolex do not keep time is crazy, they are automatic watches after all and will never keep time like a quartz watch or a phone. My group keep time with +/- 10 seconds every 10-14 days which is more than adequate. I have them pressure tested once a year and regulated to the cost of $50.

They do need to be serviced every 7-10 years at the cost of $600, but I have never had mine service as the are between 7-10 years old and still keeping great time.

As another poster noted, all my watches are worth more today than what I paid for them :eek: that never hurts either...

· Registered
601 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Honest question sort of related to this thread, but are there any truly accurate timepieces, over months or even years, that use mechanical movement.....
short answer is no....if a watch is COSC certified it runs between -4/+6 seconds every 24hrs. Only 3% of Swiss watches carry this certification.

A good mechanical watch is still effected by the amount of motion supplied to it, temperature, humidity, etc

I once wore my sub 30 days straight and it was 20 seconds slow over that period of time when compared to The official US time (NIST & USNO) .......pretty damn good if you ask me.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.