SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im making an offer on an older boat in the next couple of days... the boat had a leak in an overhead hatch which allowed alot of rainwater to accumulate in the cabin...the boat sat unattended for quite a while and the water got over the cabin sole, completely destroyed the teak and holly veneer over plywood sole.

That can be fixed by replacing the whole shootin match... but.. now there is also a dark ring of oily, dirt, stain and whatever else was in the bildge that has fouled the bottom 4 inches of bulkhead. Its not delaminated, and is still sound, but definitely stained..

Any suggestions on how to get that stain out of the teak? Perhaps bleaching it and restaining it with some minwax stain? Im open to suggestions here

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I had considered a teak trim baseboard just to cover the stuff up...could be a quick and easy solution.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Actually, I had considered a teak trim baseboard just to cover the stuff up...could be a quick and easy solution.
That's exactly the kind of thing that trim is for.

Well, that and gaps. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Im not sure...its a Watkins 30... Its unvarnished... rubbed oil.. so I was guessing teak... but according to my wife...Ive been wrong before..although I cant remember when.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try a good teak cleaner that contains oxalic acid.
Yep...gonna try teak cleaner... probably going to end up doing the whole bulkhead to get it all to one color, then re oil/stain it... cant look any worse than it does now.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Be careful not to soak it or you'll peel the teak veneer layer.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
It will never look the same. Stain MIGHT even it out a bit but even a thorough, heavy sanding of solid wood will frequently not get all staining out. With veneer it's basically impossible. If you REALLY want a fresh surface, a new layer of veneer is the only way to do it.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Correct - there is nothing "Teak" about teak oil - it's a marketing convenience. It sounds so much classier than "Wood Oil" - to the tune of several $$ per can I suspect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.