SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I replaced my water heater last month after months of seeing water around the base of the heater. The old heater had male threaded pipe coming out of it, the new ones are all female fittings. The old one had a brass check valve on the cold water in. I put the new heater in and never thought about the check valve. I see schematics that show a check valve, but the installation instructions said nothing about having one. What's your take: yes, no?

Dave

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That might explain why the hose popped off a barbed connection... it warmed up and got soft.

So I looked for one and the only thing at the local store was a plastic bilge pump check valve. Is that OK, or should I keep looking?

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most new tanks have a temp/pressure relief valve in addition to a regular faucet drain. I'm fortunate not to have to worry about draining, winterizing etc..

I will look for a bronze check valve. Last night the water pump ran for a couple seconds every hour. Checked the water heater... sure enough the hose had got soft again and was dripping. The hot water in the tank really does work it's way upstream into the water supply line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.