SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water heater rusted out. So I ripped it out and threw it overboard. I'm on the hard, so don't worry. It crashed quite delightfully on the ground below. Thing is, I had black hoses with green goop flowing out o them from the heaters heat exchange.

Do I now connect one hose on the diesel outlet to the inlet bypassing the heat exchange?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
656 Posts
22 views and no replies? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?
I counsel patience. If this board is typical, you get 50 readers for every writer. Responses could reasonably be expected within in several days, not several hours -- especially on a weekend when folks are out having fun.

It sounds like you have a freshwater-cooled engine. Until you replace your water heater, yes - I should think you would want to attach the two hoses with a short pipe of the appropriate diameter, clamp them, and refill your engine's coolant system to the appropriate level with a water/antifreeze mixture to keep the cooling passages from rusting.

DaCAP

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Are you planning to replace the heat exchanger or convert to raw water cooling? If you're converting to raw you will have to change the thermostat if in salt water to about 140 degrees. The one you have now is designed for a closed system and runs hotter. This is because if you run an engine too hot with raw water cooling in salt water you will build up salt deposits rather rapidly.
Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.