SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems our water heater is going out. Its now leaking inside the case.
No matter, its too large.
Looking for a small unit to replace the 10 gallon I have now.
Needs to be low priced, And small in size.
Was thinking about a 2.5 gallon home unit.

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
We've got a 50 litre (13 US gallons) and I wish it was larger. When water availability is not an issue it is nice, particularly in cooler weather to have a hot shower and five gallons is not quite enough for two.

(yes if we are away from easily available water supply we use less than otherwise and can if pressed make tank last a lot longer than two showers.)

(Original of this post said 5 gallons. Wrong. I don't know why I though that.)

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife is the one woman I know how takes a military shower each morning as normal.
The product of being 1 of 3 sisters? As for me, If I used 5 gallons to shower it would be a lot. This is at the dock. I would rather have one tiny heater with it cranked up all the way to 160 degrees, then a big one at a lower temp. When we practiced with a solar shower she didnt quite use 2 of 3 gallons to shower, wow!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey,

A few years ago I replaced a dead water heater with a Kuuma. It was the cheapest unit I could fine and it worked just fine. I sold the boat last year so I won't know how long it lasted but it seemed to be OK.

They have various plumbing options, run on 110V AC or engine heat, etc.

Kuuma Marine Water Heater - 6 Gallon

Barry

·
Old as Dirt!
3,491 Posts
In early 2013 we did rather a lot of research on this matter for friends of ours who's Raritan had given up the ghost while they were enroute to Trinidad from Martinique. The most highly rated unit we found with the longest lasting hold-over time was the SuperStor, at the time available through Defender. Defender shipped the unit to them in Trini as "Ship's Stores in Transit". With exception of the electrical pig-tails to the heater element being solid rather than stranded wire, they have been very pleased with the equipment.

FWIW,,,

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Let me get this clear - is the water heater for the big boat or the new dinghy?

Reactions: capta

·
Super Fuzzy
17,132 Posts
My wife is the one woman I know how takes a military shower each morning as normal.
The product of being 1 of 3 sisters? As for me, If I used 5 gallons to shower it would be a lot. This is at the dock. I would rather have one tiny heater with it cranked up all the way to 160 degrees, then a big one at a lower temp. When we practiced with a solar shower she didnt quite use 2 of 3 gallons to shower, wow!
My attitude is that while I can shower in well under five gallons its nice to not have to. On our old boat we would mix a kettle of boiling with some cold and shower in less than a bucket full of water each. We could also use a small solar shower. So while it is not the end of world the palaver involved with any form of camp shower is best avoided. Showering with a solar shower is always pretty economical due to extreme lack of water pressure. On any boat naval shower (I presume that is also what you mean by military shower ?) is surely de riguer.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
The Kuuma is a short lived water heater available at a low price. An aluminum tank without a magnesium anode has a short life. Often 2 years or less.

Better choices are Isotherm, Raritan, or Torrid in the quality category or Seaward for the budget minded. Make sure to get a magnesium anode for longer life.

Whale has just introduced a 12 volt water heater, 3 gallons with a 30 amp current draw. Whale Marine - Products

·
Master Mariner
9,414 Posts
Anything less than 5/6 gallon water heater is just a waste of money. Even your 10 gallon is pretty small for 2 or three people. Water heaters continue to heat water for a bit using the hot water still in the tank, which will not happen with a tiny 2.5 gallon heater. The water WILL get cold faster.
There is a "dumper load" element that can be used with a windgen charge controller when the batteries are full that will heat the water, but then you would need to change elements to 110/220 for dockside/generator use.
I must say, after over 50 years of fresh water conservation at sea, it is extremely decadent to have a hot water shower at sea now, thanks to our watermaker. It may not be necessary, but it just doesn't hurt to have some creature comforts in your home.

Reactions: tdw

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK, thanks for all your help. Turns out we have a 6 gallon now, and its way more then enough. I tried to find the leak, but it must be internal, as I see no leak at any fittings.

I think a 1500 watt 2.5 gallon would put out a lot of hot water for us, as we do not use much,
http://www.zoro.com/i/G2842156/?utm...xq8tOEnb-5Fdz0oBPLMnDtatR6K644NO1zhoCNX_w_wcB
and we also take split showers, shutting the water off while washing. Thou I must say I may take longer showers when I get the second head finished and have the rain style shower head. Tough choice.

Perhaps something like this:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/h...electric-tankless-water-heater-2-4kw-120v-20a

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
OK, thanks for all your help. Turns out we have a 6 gallon now, and its way more then enough. I tried to find the leak, but it must be internal, as I see no leak at any fittings.

I think a 1500 watt 2.5 gallon would put out a lot of hot water for us, as we do not use much,
BOSCH Water Heater, 2.5g, 120v - G2842156 at Zoro
and we also take split showers, shutting the water off while washing. Thou I must say I may take longer showers when I get the second head finished and have the rain style shower head. Tough choice.

Perhaps something like this:
Water Heaters | Tankless Water Heaters - Electric | Eemax SP2412 Single Point Electric Tankless Water Heater - 2.4KW 120V 20A | B60179 - GlobalIndustrial.com
Note you are going to need a good sized generator to run those. If you try to run those with an inverter off the house bank, they will pull 100-200 amps DC when on. FWIW we put a long hose on our solar sunshower and run it into the head where shower drain pump is. Works great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.