SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Life long mechanic, but I've got one here I've never seen. As I was going through the Universal 5424, I replaced a water hose, (from the engine to the boat heater). No big, bought the hose at the local auto parts store. Installed it 2 months ago, everything has been fine. I was In the engine this past weekend just looking things over and I brushed against this hose. Just this hose is shiny and if you wipe a rag over it, it's all gummy and it comes off on the rag. Ideas?

Dave

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Sounds like the hose was uncured or otherwise defective material. Brand name or bargain bin? In any case, I'd replace it ASAP. Take it back to the store & let them see the problem, while you're at it.

·
Sailor
931 Posts
Engine overheat? Assuming you bought a coolant or heater hose for a vehicle it should be ok with the temps that the diesel gets normally. That's a puzzle for me as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,489 Posts
something (coolant, fuel, engine cleaner, etc.) is acting as a solvent, and attacking the hose. Replace the hose with another brand and chemical makeup.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Forum Fiend v1.1.3.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Probably an overdose of 'molding aid' compound added to the 'rubber' when extruding/forming it and now the 'molding aid' is migrating to the surface of the rubber.

Same thing happens to extruded/molded vinyl (electric cords and boat fenders) ... eventually over a long time forms a sticky goo on surface. That your water hose shows the goo very quickly - compounding error with too much molding aid. That hose was probably the first to be made on a monday morning, ... after a long weekend.

Most of these molding aid compounds are slightly soluble in oil.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. No engine overheat issues. I'll go along with bad hose and replace it.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
It may be oil causing the damage. I started a recall for major a bus manufactur when I noticed they were using a EPDM coolant hose under the dip stick (oil disolves EPDM). It was a Gates coolant hose, very low in permiability, but unsuitable for use around oil or diesel.

It is much less likely to be a coolant or curing issue than a wrong material issue (I work in the industry).

https://www.gates.com/downloads/files/catalogs/Hose_chemical_04.pdf

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=913&location_id=541

AVOID EPDM Hoses!!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may be oil causing the damage. I started a recall for major a bus manufactur when I noticed they were using a EPDM coolant hose under the dip stick (oil disolves EPDM). It was a Gates coolant hose, very low in permiability, but unsuitable for use around oil or diesel.

The hose runs above the engine over to the side of the dog house and down. I don't have 1 drop of stray oil in the compartment. :) I am going to go to the marine store for a replacement. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts

The hose runs above the engine over to the side of the dog house and down. I don't have 1 drop of stray oil in the compartment. :) I am going to go to the marine store for a replacement. Thanks.
Just a bad batch, then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts