SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I was at the dock today,some of the old timers say that a water logged hull on a 23 foot sailboat can add as much as 1000 lbs. I cant belive this is true, what do you guys think ?
I hope it BS anyway:confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm sure some of our more math inclined persons will come up with a better answer but at a rough 8.5lb per gallon, 1000lb would mean that a hull has absorbed about 117gal of water. I find that hard to believe also on a 23' boat.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The amount of water a hull can absorb is around 2 - 3 %. If it is 1000 heavier that means the boat body is 33000 - 50000 lbs.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It depends, was this a wooden boat or a fiberglass boat the oldtimers were talking about. Witha wooden boat, yeah, I can believe that. With a fiberglass one, I doubt it. :)

·
blue collar cruiser
370 Posts
Not to mention if you have 1000 pounds of water in a 23' fiberglass hull your boat is screwed.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The real answer is it depends... is the hull cored and if so, with what?
A wood cored hull (there are plenty around) can absorb an incredible amount of water.
There is no meaningful answer without knowing more detail.

·
Spam, Food of the Seagods
212 Posts
Hi there, I was at the dock today,some of the old timers say that a water logged hull on a 23 foot sailboat can add as much as 1000 lbs. I cant belive this is true, what do you guys think ?
All I know is; I can bring 2 wild women onboard and a ton of drink and food and my boat can weigh 2200 pounds more. :rolleyes:

Sometimes we can tell the truth and sometimes we may exaggerate in general. I remember when mosquitoes were so bad they carry off cows, but, was that true?? Either way, the mosquitoes were bad enough people were miserable! :laugher

May not believe what said, but, I understand the concept! ;)

Hope this help! :confused:

·
I don't discuss my member
2,633 Posts
If I had a nickle for each piece of bad information I'd heard related by some "old timer" down on the dock, I'd have... well, I'd have quite a few nickels.

My personal fave? "Boats are faster with a layer of slime on the hull, just like fish." :laugher

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel much better now, I know she's waterlogged so Im just going to sail her till she sinks, I'll just go a little slower for lugging all that wter around

1 - 10 of 10 Posts