SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I was at the dock today,some of the old timers say that a water logged hull on a 23 foot sailboat can add as much as 1000 lbs. I cant belive this is true, what do you guys think ?
I hope it BS anyway:confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm sure some of our more math inclined persons will come up with a better answer but at a rough 8.5lb per gallon, 1000lb would mean that a hull has absorbed about 117gal of water. I find that hard to believe also on a 23' boat.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
It depends, was this a wooden boat or a fiberglass boat the oldtimers were talking about. Witha wooden boat, yeah, I can believe that. With a fiberglass one, I doubt it. :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The real answer is it depends... is the hull cored and if so, with what?
A wood cored hull (there are plenty around) can absorb an incredible amount of water.
There is no meaningful answer without knowing more detail.

·
Spam, Food of the Seagods
212 Posts
Hi there, I was at the dock today,some of the old timers say that a water logged hull on a 23 foot sailboat can add as much as 1000 lbs. I cant belive this is true, what do you guys think ?
All I know is; I can bring 2 wild women onboard and a ton of drink and food and my boat can weigh 2200 pounds more. :rolleyes:

Sometimes we can tell the truth and sometimes we may exaggerate in general. I remember when mosquitoes were so bad they carry off cows, but, was that true?? Either way, the mosquitoes were bad enough people were miserable! :laugher

May not believe what said, but, I understand the concept! ;)

Hope this help! :confused:

·
I don't discuss my member
2,678 Posts
If I had a nickle for each piece of bad information I'd heard related by some "old timer" down on the dock, I'd have... well, I'd have quite a few nickels.

My personal fave? "Boats are faster with a layer of slime on the hull, just like fish." :laugher

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel much better now, I know she's waterlogged so Im just going to sail her till she sinks, I'll just go a little slower for lugging all that wter around

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where were you on the dock was it portland cause my sailboat is down at the dock its leaning sideways and it feels real heavy when i pull the rope to get in it i believe its going to sink whatnshould i do
It depends, was this a wooden boat or a fiberglass boat the oldtimers were talking about. Witha wooden boat, yeah, I can believe that. With a fiberglass one, I doubt it. :)
Its a fiberglass one

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel much better now, I know she's waterlogged so Im just going to sail her till she sinks, I'll just go a little slower for lugging all that wter around
Right
If I had a nickle for each piece of bad information I'd heard related by some "old timer" down on the dock, I'd have... well, I'd have quite a few nickels.

My personal fave? "Boats are faster with a layer of slime on the hull, just like fish." :laugher

·
Barquito
3,758 Posts
Con-Monster - Please fix your boat before it sinks. Generally, that is not good for the environment, and you may be liable for recovery. Cheaper to take care of it before it sinks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts