SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RNC725
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 1967 Cal 30. We installed an electric water pump for pressurized water and it worked fine. When we tied that into the faucet in the head it continued to work fine until 2 weeks ago. Now the pump comes on every 45 minutes to an hour for about a full second--quite annoying especially at night. What's the deal here? Your thoughts and advice are coveted and please talk to me as if I were still in Kindergarten---my "fix it" skills are sorely lacking. Thanks in advance.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
You either have a small leak in the system, a leak the diaphragm of the accumulator tank (if you have one) or the diaphragm in the pump is not sealing.
Most likely a system leak would be at a connection, though it is possible for a line to chafe through somewhere hard to find, in time. A tiny bit of sand, hair or dirt can interfere with the operation of a diaphragm pump and it must be opened to be checked and cleaned. If the accumulator tank diaphragm has a place to fill the air, you can do that and see if the problem reoccurs. If you can't test it, pull it out of the line and see if the problem continues. If it is bad, I do not think they can be economically repaired.

Reactions: capecodda

·
RNC725
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The system is on demand. Not sure how to make a drawing. Getting ready to examine all the hoses and see if anything turns up. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Pretty sure the pump is not holding pressure and bleeding back into suck side. Could be a hair stuck in the pump valve. If the bilge is filling or tap is dripping I'm wrong. Happened once before.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
And when the motor is running, switch off the pump. I learned that the hard way. In a long motor across the Gulf of Mexico in 1992, a water line ruptured and the water pump pumped all of the ship's fresh water into the bilge and we did not hear the pump running because of the engine.
We had reserve drinking water to keep us alive but we lost the entire contents of the ship's water tank.
Lesson learned.
Switch your water pump off when your engine is running.

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Not sure what you mean by tied in to your head faucet, but assume you teed off somewhere. Could you have created a downstream air pocket somewhere?

We have a transom shower nozzle, which is just an extension of the fresh water lines, past the aft head. When I commission in the spring, if I forget to bleed the air out and get fresh water through that nozzle, the air in the line compresses until pressure switches the pump off. However, the must leak easier than water, because it will cause cycling like you describe.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
The most usual reason for the symptoms you describe is a small leak in the hoses. Most of the time it will occur at a fitting. If fittings are screwed together you need to use Teflon tape on the threads. Check also that the faucet turns all the way off. The leak may be so small it's only discoverable by your finger finding a wet spot on the fitting.

Tod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts