SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any scholarly study relating TDS to life span? I've searched and come up empty.

I've been testing some water sources, just out of curiosity (installed a new RO system) and have found that some of the distilled water from stores is a lot higher than distilled water should be; I'm guessing they're using RO, since it is cheaper.

Other than typical advice to use "distilled water," do we have a study to look at? Distilled water should be 5-10 ppm, but the jugs I tested were 20-45 ppm, about like AC drips. I've read reports of grocery store distilled water up to 150 ppm TDS. Probably OK, many folks have used it, but it got me thinking about whether distilled water is often just tap water? Could account for a few crippled batteries.

·
bell ringer
5,029 Posts
In my experience distilled water can vary a lot. Just because they boiler the water and there condensed it doesn't mean the process was very controlled and that there wasn't a lot of carryover water in the steam. I wouldn't think that you could call RO water distilled as far as labeling goes.

If you really want pure water for a battery I feel you would be better to get Deionized Water. I have never measured store DI water, but I have measured the water out of my little bottle of resin I carry in my water test kit and it makes pretty pure water from the tap water I put in it.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Had to do some reading to find out you were referring to life expectancy of batteries, not people.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my experience distilled water can vary a lot. Just because they boiler the water and there condensed it doesn't mean the process was very controlled and that there wasn't a lot of carryover water in the steam. I wouldn't think that you could call RO water distilled as far as labeling goes.

If you really want pure water for a battery I feel you would be better to get Deionized Water. I have never measured store DI water, but I have measured the water out of my little bottle of resin I carry in my water test kit and it makes pretty pure water from the tap water I put in it.
PP 1. I'm not convinced they worry about truth in labeling, and yeah, stills can be run poorly. In my day job we operate some very large chemical towers, the operators run extensive QC, and carry over is high on the list.

PP2. It would be nice to know how good is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts