SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is hard water a sufficiently serious problem that anyone uses a water softener? Yeah, I know some of the big yacht guys who worry about a spot-free shine use them, but I'm interested in more ordinary boats. If yes, is it for washing hair, clothes, or everything?

No, I'm not interested, but I've been asked to explore the possibilities. I see there are some cartridge filters with resin, but in practice they would be far more trouble than they are worth, in my opinion. Also suspect that a cartridge without a backwash cycle and any room for the bed to expand and scrub, would foul rather quickly.

Any experiences? Any problems that need solving? Or is seriously hard water in coastal areas not too prevalent? As a guy, neither hair washing or perfect clothes merit much extra work.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
This is a lot different than the usual question of "What soap will suds up in salt water?" (We use Joy and Camp Suds then rinse in fresh). I'm looking forward to hearing how the other half lives.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It depends :)

At work in N Amityville NY the water is not what you would call hard BUT the iron content in are industrial area is about 10 times the normal

Up the road in Northport it's normal

The Amityville water is hell on things like are high pressure boiler if you do not have a water softener and is visibly different when you fill a 100 gallon container

I go through 50 pounds of salt a week :) and I don't believe any of the portable cartridges I have seen can do a regen with salt

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... I go through 50 pounds of salt a week :) and I don't believe any of the portable cartridges I have seen can do a regen with salt
Actually, some of them can. They are the same resin. However, I'm not implying I think it's practical. I simply wondered if any felt it was a serious problem on board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.