Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Faster

·
19,488 Posts
Dramatic shots!!

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
I've often wondered how powerful one of those is. With all the water in them they must be heavy - does that make them more destructive than tornadoes or does it slow them down or what? What would it do to a sailboat hit by one?

Anybody know?

·
19,488 Posts
I've often wondered how powerful one of those is. With all the water in them they must be heavy - does that make them more destructive than tornadoes or does it slow them down or what? What would it do to a sailboat hit by one?

Anybody know?
Anybody want to find out??;)

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Reactions: Faster

·
Registered
2,705 Posts

Anybody know?
It is not uncommon for ocean racing boats (Volvo RTWR, Sydney/Hobart) to have waterspouts go right over the top of them without substantial damage. I recall reading one account where two sailors stayed in the cockpit and sent the rest below, harnessed themselves in and when the waterspout went over them they were lifted off the boat to the limits of their harnesses and stayed there until it went by.

But most (maybe all) of the accounts speak of the minor damage being taken care of and sailing on, some even winning their race/leg.

Have a look at this as an example:

Yachting: Skipper's fear inside `twister' - Telegraph

Reactions: SloopJonB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts