SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two huge water tanks that fill up both my settees completely. Aside from not having any storage in the settee they are a PAIN to clean. While there are a few small access ports it's pretty hard to get your arm in there to clean them out.

What I'm thinking of doing is cutting a larger hole around the existing ports :eek: and putting in a couple of these

Any reason why NOT to do this? I can't imagine it would affect the structural integrity of the tanks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've used them but found them difficult to seal completely. Of course that was 20yrs ago, they may have improved since then. The last time I was at the boatyard chandlery they had a very nifty access hatch that had a 1/4" or so flange that was tapped and threaded that fit inside the tank, a rubber gasket and a lid that bolted down on the outside. The lid had a very cool access port with a quick release lever similar to an old fashion milk canister or fire extinguisher. Didn't see a make or price but estimate about $150.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
I've got two huge water tanks that fill up both my settees completely. Aside from not having any storage in the settee they are a PAIN to clean. While there are a few small access ports it's pretty hard to get your arm in there to clean them out.

What I'm thinking of doing is cutting a larger hole around the existing ports :eek: and putting in a couple of these

Any reason why NOT to do this? I can't imagine it would affect the structural integrity of the tanks.
Those inspection ports work fine. We put two of them on our water tank. Bed them well, & use short #8 or similar machine screws with SS nylocks on the back. You don't want sharp screw heads gouging your forearm open. May want to periodically grease the O-rings (good ports have two) with silicone.

ETA: Use larger inspection plates, separate your tanks, and you can store things in one or both of them. We may keep vacuum-packed dry goods in our tank when cruising where water is easily found.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Those inspection ports work fine. We put two of them on our water tank. Bed them well, & use short #8 or similar machine screws with SS nylocks on the back. You don't want sharp screw heads gouging your forearm open. May want to periodically grease the O-rings (good ports have two) with silicone.
I agree, they're great... I'd suggest getting the ones with the clear cover, however, makes it very simple to monitor your water level...

And get a set of spare gaskets from Beckson if you're going off somewhere, they can be a bit difficult to find...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ETA: Use larger inspection plates, separate your tanks, and you can store things in one or both of them. We may keep vacuum-packed dry goods in our tank when cruising where water is easily found.
EXACTLY what I was planning on doing. I didn't want to distract from the original purpose of the thread by digressing. I'll probably just fill it with bottles of water; prevents contamination, easier to handle, etc. For extended cruising would fill one tank for washing and use the other for storage.

I had originally thought about cutting one of the tanks open all across the top, but leaving the body of the tank there and keeping my tools and other heavy objects in it so they'd stay dry and contained. I'll probably NOT do that only because I don't want to screw up resale value.

Bed them well, & use short #8 or similar machine screws with SS nylocks on the back. You don't want sharp screw heads gouging your forearm open. May want to periodically grease the O-rings (good ports have two) with silicone.
Yeah, used a smaller version of these on my old Laser. And no, you don't want to rip open your arm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts