SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have an islander 26 I wake up every morning to a wet floor by the bilge but had it looked at guy told me either my water tank is leaking or my planks are coming loose Any help or someone come and help me also maybe we can sail it to where you are so you can fix it:?:(

·
Master Mariner
8,554 Posts
You did not mention if you are in fresh or salt water and I don't know where Ballard is. If you are in salt water, just taste the water; salt means a leak from outside the boat, fresh from the tank. If you are in fresh water, then you can just wait to see if your tank runs out of water when you don't use it.

·
19,489 Posts
A Perry designed I-26? Planks?

If Ballard Washington as Capta said you may be on a lake.. so the taste test won't work (unless it's a leak from the head :eek: ;))

The cabin sole is 'wet'? or is there simply water in the bilge? Any through hull fittings in the area? tranducers? Rain or shine? More info needed!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Ne'er mind the cat. How's your bladder?
Ha ha... I knew a guy who used pee while sleepwalking on camping trips. He never believed us even when we were showing him big stains on our tent.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
Hello I have an islander 26 I wake up every morning to a wet floor by the bilge but had it looked at guy told me either my water tank is leaking or my planks are coming loose Any help or someone come and help me also maybe we can sail it to where you are so you can fix it:?:(
The next time you find the sole wet, check the overhead, especially if the boat's been buttoned up. The sliding hatch cover is not insulated and condensate may be forming and dripping onto the deck; or, you may have a leak in the hatch cover itself.

·
Registered
570 Posts
These kind of posts always fascinate me. So, if you think it is one of two things, fresh water from your tanks or a leaky boat, eliminate one of them and see. Drain the water tanks, including the hot water tank, into the bilge and let the bilge pump that overboard. If you wake up tomorrow and have a bilge full of water and water on the sole you just might have a thru hull leaking or some problem with the hull.
I would think if the bilge is full and you have water on the sole it is not condensate.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The next time you find the sole wet, check the overhead, especially if the boat's been buttoned up. The sliding hatch cover is not insulated and condensate may be forming and dripping onto the deck; or, you may have a leak in the hatch cover itself.
That would be my guess as well - dripping condensate.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
My biggest issue is the boat you have listed a 1956 islander Bahama 26 and e islander company didn't even exist then the 26 ft boat was built starting in 1976 and called the Excalibur need more Info I can take a look and see what's wrong with it let me know I'm located in the bremerton marina

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeah first if your talking planks its wood...soooooooo is it?

next there was a wooden boat design called the islander kind of like a new england design...very shallow freeboard etc...

is this the islander you are talking about?

if your boat is indeed wood

can you taste the water?

if wood you suffer less from condensation in fact wood boats are a lot more toasty...

ok next...can you check all fittings to and from any tanks you have and last but not least if you do have leaks in between your planks throw some saw dust all around your waterline in calm water...if your leaking stops somewhat you know it is indeed your planks

also are you single, clinker, double planked? etc? some leak more than others if not maintained properly

cheers

btw I had an islander "excalibur" 26...often referred to as wayfarer 26 and later the IONA 26...

but I dont think this is the boat you are talking about

cheers

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
My biggest issue is the boat you have listed a 1956 islander Bahama 26 and e islander company didn't even exist then the 26 ft boat was built starting in 1976 and called the Excalibur need more Info I can take a look and see what's wrong with it let me know I'm located in the bremerton marina
I beleive you are referring to the IONA 26 which bought the plans from islander who used the plans from excalibur corp...these were later made excalibur 26...

the excalibur 26 designed by crealock(confuse with lapworth all the time my bad) was the mini version of the famous surfer the CAL 40...the first drawings for the excalibur 26 was around 59, but production started if I remember correctly either in 61 or 62...till around 67 or so... I had a 64 if I remember correctly.

the islander "excalibur" 26 was sometimes simply labeled from the yard as WAYFARER as they are the ones that either produced them or sold them...

Islander wayfarer are used together many times...

anywhoo

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
the op might be referring to the islander24 which was indeed first made in wood then became simply the islander bahama 24 in glass...these are some of the first glass production boats in any case

newhaul i see you have the bahama, the biat im reffering too is pre your design...wood mast and boom

·
19,489 Posts
Unfortunately the OP hasn't checked in in 3 weeks so we may never know....

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
bummer!

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
the op might be referring to the islander24 which was indeed first made in wood then became simply the islander bahama 24 in glass...these are some of the first glass production boats in any case

newhaul i see you have the bahama, the biat im reffering too is pre your design...wood mast and boom
Correct the boat you are referring to was wood and eventually used as a plug to make the molds for mine it was built by Joe mcglassen and called the Catalina islander built in the mid to late 50's

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
and thats how the cookie crumbles! jeje

1 - 17 of 17 Posts