SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best solution to clean water tank without removing tank any special chemicals or just with water hose pressure cleaning
Please help, getting water filter clog.
Thank you

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,671 Posts
Stored water has a notorious way becoming slimy especially in the fittings like elbows what you probably should do is shock treatment with bleach take the strainers off the faucets because they will clog up and run it as much as you can if you can't access the tank can you access the connections you'll probably find slime inside the one where it comes out of the tank,if it comes out of the bottom end

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Following since I just finished scrubbing our tank. I cut a 8 inch hole in the top. Added some water, liquid dish soap and bleach then scrubbed with a NEW toilet brush and one of those rough scouring pads. We had a line of slime on the sides of the tank. I installed a deck plate with a clear lid. Some just bleach it clean. I googled ""peggy hall water tank cleaning" she recommends attacking the problem with bleach and soak. That may work for you. Here is a link to one of her write ups. Peggy Hall where are you? Some people recognize Peggy as knowledgeable in the field of marine sanitation. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Following since I just finished scrubbing our tank. I cut a 8 inch hole in the top. Added some water, liquid dish soap and bleach then scrubbed with a NEW toilet brush and one of those rough scouring pads. We had a line of slime on the sides of the tank. I installed a deck plate with a clear lid. Some just bleach it clean. I googled ""peggy hall water tank cleaning" she recommends attacking the problem with bleach and soak. That may work for you. Here is a link to one of her write ups. Peggy Hall where are you? Some people recognize Peggy as knowledgeable in the field of marine sanitation. Good luck.
Thank you so much
Stored water has a notorious way becoming slimy especially in the fittings like elbows what you probably should do is shock treatment with bleach take the strainers off the faucets because they will clog up and run it as much as you can if you can't access the tank can you access the connections you'll probably find slime inside the one where it comes out of the tank,if it comes out of the bottom end
Thank you very much, will do it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you,I owe 1988 Island Packet 31 the tank is very difficult to remove so I will try this approach

·
Vendor
9 Posts
Tanks and line sanitation can even puzzle the pros. I was attending the Ft Lauderdale Boat show for business and was in the super yacht village and noticed crews carting on cases of bottled drinking water. I asked a crew member why as they have the best drinking water equipment money can purchase. It seemed to me to be wasteful on a few fronts; space, weight, waste/recycle and the obvious Environmntal issues. He looked at me and bluntly said no trust who cleans the lines or when they were done. I found that to be common after asking around some more. Besides the obvious proper service/sanitation protocols I would suggest point of use purification as a fail-safe measure. We happen to mfg. them; I was at the show on business and found a new market four our products often found on live abord sailing vessels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts