SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for a medium priced flashlight which can withstand the marine environment? I''ve tried most of the brands listed in the marine catalogs with poor results. Usually I have to toss them at the end of a season--either the switches corrode or moisture attacks the batteries.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am a diver (and a sailor) and I use my dive lights on board. As they are meant to operate underwater and under pressure, you will not have the types of problems you are use to. Try either www.defender.com or www.centalskindivers.com for discounters of this type of gear.

Good Luck

HAM

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Shin:

We could all fly to the Moom, 1st class, on the money wasted on flashlights aboard our boats!

I''ve had nothing but good results using PeliLite flashlights, all models. Just like their waterproof cases, these flashlights are high quality gear. WM sells them under their WM brand name, but it''s the same light. WM also sells replacement bulbs/reflectors, which seem to last about a year or so in heavy use. This is a very bright light, totally waterproof, with no switch in the conventional sense but rather an twist/screw down-type on/off feature. The list is under $20 and the bulb/reflector $11 or so. These prices may seem a bit stiff compared with the Eveready light available at the local gas station, but is worth every cent.

Jack Tyler

J

·
0 Posts
I use the military style ''L'' type flashlights. They don''t roll when you set them down. They come with multi-colored and fresnel focusing lenses that can be changed and a compartment for a spare bulb. They are reasonably cheap to buy and I just replaced one that I used for 15 years. I keep them fit out with high intensity bulbs and alkyline baterries. I have also used a ''TrueValue'' brand heavy duty flashlight which is rubber covered and has a rubber covered switch in the bottom. The one I am using is 10 years old.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Army Surplus.....maybe you get stuck with the old funky olive drab....but the old "L" shaped military flashlites are darn near indestructible.

I carried one for years....and I carried the same one for 2 + 1/2 yrs in Viet Nam....never had to do anything but change the batteries and a bulb once in a great while.

And like the other poster said....it won''t roll away from you........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shimshon, even if you buy the most expensive flashlight you can find, try lubrcating the rubber sealing ring with a little vasoline every time you change the batteries. Not only will it help waterproof, but it makes getting the old batteries out easier.
Tom S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts