SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Centurion 42 vs Lafitte 44

This post should be prefaced by saying that my sailing experience is limited to a week aboard a Beneteau 423 to get my ASA 101, 103 and 104. I am not new to boating as I have been on commercial fishing boats most of my life. But I fell in love with sailing and want to have a (sail) boat that I can live and grow on.

What I am looking for is the pros and cons of these two boats. The plan is to liveaboard full time and eventually sail the world, hopefully ending up in either the Mediterranean or the Caribbean. I can find article after article on each but would like a detailed head to head from more experienced minds than my own. I've scoured the board and they both seem very capable. I am just wondering what I may have missed or if there is a reason I should look more closely at one and why.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I think the reality is that there are quite a few boats that would be suitable for what you want to do. The two you mention are good boats but there are a lot of others so I would be building an extensive list at this point and working from that. Once you know what characteristics you want in a boat it becomes a matter of condition of the particular boat, the price, and what pulls at the heart strings.

Reactions: Faster

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ah ha, the heart strings. I know a lifelong sailor, former sea going freight bridge crew, went looking for a project, surveyor and mechanic said "DO NOT BUY THIS BOAT", but he was already writing the check. He has written many, many checks since. Heed seasoned advice and proceed with caution.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the reality is that there are quite a few boats that would be suitable for what you want to do. The two you mention are good boats but there are a lot of others so I would be building an extensive list at this point and working from that. Once you know what characteristics you want in a boat it becomes a matter of condition of the particular boat, the price, and what pulls at the heart strings.
Well said. Instead of deciding what particular model you are going to buy, decide what particular features you need, and then look around to see what available boats meet those needs. And be happy to pay significantly more for a boat that's been kept up. Projects rarely turn out to be deals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.