SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a wave powered propeller, with alternator. It should be able to match sail boat speed with a much smaller apparatus.

What are your thoughts on a market for this?

Thanks
Paul

·
Banned
325 Posts
I'm trying to grasp the physicists in my head and I'm losing. But hey If it works go for it. Would love to hear more on your ideas.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Lost my cash on the flux core capacitor; hold on, let me check in with you in a couple of minutes when i get back from the furure. I'll let you know if your idea worked.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think this exists. I remember a towed device with a propeller attached to a generator to produce electricity. A variation that may be more practical might be to allow your prop to spin while underway (from the sails) and the prop shaft turns a generator.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think this exists. I remember a towed device with a propeller attached to a generator to produce electricity. A variation that may be more practical might be to allow your prop to spin while underway (from the sails) and the prop shaft turns a generator.
Might power the instrument lights if they are LED.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The
is a wave-powered ship that has gone from Hawaii to Japan, so the energy is there to harness and the idea isn't as far-fetched as it might seem; but I would like a bit more information on how the OP wishes to do it.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
There are wind generators that flip down to generate power off the water current while underway, but I don't think they are meant to power the boats propulsion.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
There has been several types of tidal flow generators available for decades, most of which are very efficient. Unfortunately, in the U.S. the greenies has managed to keep them from being used, claiming they'll kill tiny micro-organisms that may become entrapped in the generators blades. Of course, these are the same people that use municipal sewage, which is discharged into our rivers and bays, causing many of the problems we now face with our dwindling water supplies. Ya gotta love it!

Gary :cool:

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
3,780 nmi in 110 days. That's about 34 nmi/day, or 1.4 kts, WITH the current. I think I'll pass.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
There has been several types of tidal flow generators available for decades, most of which are very efficient. Unfortunately, in the U.S. the greenies has managed to keep them from being used, claiming they'll kill tiny micro-organisms that may become entrapped in the generators blades. Of course, these are the same people that use municipal sewage, which is discharged into our rivers and bays, causing many of the problems we now face with our dwindling water supplies. Ya gotta love it!

Gary :cool:
It's not quite so simple as that. Tidal flow generators tend to return very little energy for the investment. And, as with anything in salt water, their maintenance costs are pretty high. That teal generation hasn't become more popular is due to these economic problems as much as anything else.

However, as you alluded, they also have the potential problem of killing both adult and juvenile fish. Situated at the mouth of a large estuary (SF Bay, Chesapeake Bay ,etc.) they could effectively wipe out the "nursery" function of that estuary, dramatically diminishing both estuarine and marine fish populations. But, if you want to sail on a sterile ocean, I suppose they're an option.

·
Registered
724 Posts
However, as you alluded, they also have the potential problem of killing both adult and juvenile fish. Situated at the mouth of a large estuary (SF Bay, Chesapeake Bay ,etc.) they could effectively wipe out the "nursery" function of that estuary, dramatically diminishing both estuarine and marine fish populations. But, if you want to sail on a sterile ocean, I suppose they're an option.
Not only that, he apparently would like us to give up using municipal sewage treatment and return to the glory days of dumping our chamber pots out the window into the street. I personally am more in favor of improving the sewage treatment infrastructure, rather than giving it up entirely.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I find all types of alternative energy propulsion fascinating. It's part of the reason I got into sailing. Having said that, I can't imagine any alternative energy source matching the efficiency of return of wind to sails (adding in lift across the sails) nor the sheer abundance of available raw energy of a simple sailboat.

I'd love any auxiliary propulsion that could get the internal combustion out of my boat.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
The Suntory Mermaid II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a wave-powered ship that has gone from Hawaii to Japan, so the energy is there to harness and the idea isn't as far-fetched as it might seem; but I would like a bit more information on how the OP wishes to do it.
As has been mentioned he averaged 1.4kn over the course of the trip, with prevailing currents in his favor. While I am not a fan of electric power for the most part, a solar array and electric motor would probably give better performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh ye of little faith

Look what Kenichi Horie did with a wave powered boat.
I can't post links but you can google his name.

That boat uses a spring loaded flipper like all the other wave powered boats attempted (not very efficient.)

Mine is going to use a Mercury prop.

One cubic foot of water weighs 62lbs. Therefore at a typical 70:1 weight to trust ratio, each cubic foot of water in a wave could propel 4340lbs! So the energy is there. It all about effectively converting it to horizontal motion.

My design should be significantly more efficient that the flipper approach.

I will post pics and video soon.

Anyone up for a race across the Atlantic?

Paul

·
Registered
86 Posts
You'd definitely have better waves in the Atlantic!

Looks like this would really work well for lightly crewed, or near autonomous, cargo vessels.
With all the digital tracking and routing, what does it matter if my magnesium sulfide takes a week or a month to make it from the far east. Just have more ships in the supply chain staggered. They could even re-route if the market changes or orders and canceled or sold.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts