Did you use the cigarette lighter connection, or did you connect it directly to the battery?I purchased one as a gift for my significant other. Took FOOOOORRREEEEEVVEERRR to re-heat a cup of coffee. Manufacturer wouldn't accept it back so I repacked it and sold it on ebay and managed to break even.
I wouldn't recommend purchasing.
What's attractive to me is the portability/compactness. I have a small boat (26ft) with limited galley space, so being able to easily move it "somewhere else" than the galley, and not taking up too much space when I'm actually using it in the galley, are huge pluses.I don't understand what the purpose of this microwave is. Does it mean portable, like, on batteries to take camping ? Why would anyone want to take a microwave camping unless they are in a camper ? And if that isn't what it means, if it is just 12vdc, then why bother when most inverters will drive a small 100$us microwave that is available from any box store ?
Well, that's not surprising. A typical cigarette lighter socket on a boat will supply at most 5 amps. Any more than that and the in-line fuse or breaker blows. The power available to the microwave is therefore 5 amps x 12 volts = only 60 Watts max, and the microwave isn't 100% efficient at converting that input power into R/F. The portable unit on the cigarette lighter would take around 20 times as long to heat something as your typical built-in 1000 Watt house microwave.The [portable microwave] appears to have rather limited power when not connected to either the battery directly, via the jumper cables, or to AC. I've seen similar reports of it being underpowered, but it seems in all cases they were using the cigarette lighter cord.
Well, the specs say the lighter cable should be connected to a socket that can handle 20A, and thus operates at 240W when powered from the lighter socket. But that's still pretty low power. Good for perhaps slightly reheating pre-heated food or beverages, but not for any real kind of cooking.Well, that's not surprising. A typical cigarette lighter socket on a boat will supply at most 5 amps. Any more than that and the in-line fuse or breaker blows. The power available to the microwave is therefore 5 amps x 12 volts = only 60 Watts max, and the microwave isn't 100% efficient at converting that input power into R/F. The portable unit on the cigarette lighter would take around 20 times as long to heat something as your typical built-in 1000 Watt house microwave. Hmmm ... 1 minute to heat a cup of water at home, 20 minutes to heat a cup of water in the portable unit. My stove is faster than that!
According to the specs, it can operate at its maximum of 660 Watts when powered either by AC or directly from the battery via the provided "jumper" cables. So it would be drawing 55A at 12V.I wonder what this portable microwave draws when connected directly to the batteries?
My experience was even worse. I went ahead and ordered one, and when it arrived, unpacked it, read through the manual, plugged it in with the AC cord (in this case 240VAC), put in a cup of water, set it for 5 minutes, and hit start. There was a loud 'POP' and the unit was dead. Apparently the power supply or something was defective.Well it came in several weeks late. It works, but is underpowered compared to a house hold type. My big complant is they say it is a 660 watt output but on the stamp on the back it says 450 watts. I sent them a note but have not received any info back. I do like it it as it fits my spot well. I cook alot of the individual size dinners, but they take twice as long as at home. But if I cook from scratch I tend to over cook. The worse was I tried to cook a 100 calorie pack of pop corn I pushed the pop corn timer twice (12 minutes total) and it never popped. But if you want it to reheat small things it works well but takes longer. Yes I was direct connect to the batteries or 120. both were the same.
That's what I used on an extended trip and it worked great. I literally used the cheapest microwave I could find and it ended up being one that was on sale at Walmart for under 50$us. Then I used one of those cheap inverters, also from Walmart to power it. Worked like a charm.sounds like a 800 watt cheapy microwave from walmart and a 1000 watt inverter might be better