SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night a gust of wind blew over a (storm) candle and the soft wax from the candle soaked into my teak table. Does anyone know of a good method of getting these two items apart from each other?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Just like removing wax from fine fabrics --- scrape carefully (so as not to scratch the surface) to remove most of the wax; then, apply several layers of thick 'brown' (shipping or wrapping) paper and apply a laundry iron on top of the paper with increasing heat settings ... the heat (just enough and not enough to burn the teak) will heat the wax and 'transfer' it into the paper.
Any remaining shadows of wax can be extracted with "naptha benzene" (use a slightly moistened cotton 'fluff ball'; not 'soaked' so not to raise the grain) or any 'highly purified' gasoline, etc. ... just keep wiping lightly with the 'semi-moist' fluff-ball until the wax is no longer seen ... may have to repeat the 'dry-wiping' a few weeks/months later.

Prosit!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
What RichH said. The "goo-be-gone" type cleaners in the hardware store also specifically say they remove candle wax. Naphtha/benzine is of course not good stuff to breath but it or kerosene is basically what is called "paraffin oil" overseas, it does slowly dissolve waxes. Then the trick is to soak them up.

Personally I think terry cloth does the best job, has the most fibers. A toothbrush or other small brush will help clean it out of the wood grain.

You might also think about applying a clean cloth and then pressing a warm iron aginst that, it will liquify the wax and absorb it into the cloth. And, of course, there's some risk of spreading it into the teka--but that's going to happen no matter what you do.

After you get the bulk of it off, I'd use something more aggressive like acetone to try pulling the last of it out, then re-oil the teak and wait patiently for the rest to wear or bleed away.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got wax from a candle out of carpet with an iron and a brown paper bag. Place the paper on the wax and iron it. That melts the wax and the bag soaks it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts