SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently moved Renegade to unshaded hard storage, and without thinking about possible staining, tossed two expensive heavy tractor supply wax/oil tarps over her. Wet in the heat, the light yellow color of the material runs with the oil. My question is: who has had these tarps stain their topside gel coat? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
No replies, huh? Apparently no one has used those tarps on their boat.

The closest I can come to your situation is having used some colored, inexpensive line to secure my boat cover one winter. The festive colors of the line were transferred to the white gelcoat on my topsides. My solution was to buff out the colorful streaks.

My situation wasn't that bad...had it done in an afternoon. If you have tarp dye transferred to your deck, that sounds really bad. Smooth areas, nonskid, and so on.

Hope you manage to find a solvent for it. Who knows what the dye is, or how it reacts with gelcoat.

It's not like you can buff out nonskid. If you don't find a solvent, there could be a paint job in your future depending on how bad the staining is and whether you want to fix it.

Best of luck to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts