SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am trying to repair some large gel coat chips. These chips resulted from tearing a window frame off the boat. In some cases they are larger than the frame will cover when replaced.

After the repair is complete, I'll need to get an adhesive to stick to it.

I see gel coat comes in two kinds, waxed and unwaxed, the difference being that the waxed will cure without spraying PVA on to it. My thinking is that either way, I need to clean the area with acetone or MEK after cure and then wipe that clean. Then I need to sand it.

But, with the waxed, will there be any wax inside the gel that will remain and cause problems for the adhesive?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
The waxed gelcoat is designed so that it will cure without covering it. It is a finishing gelcoat, rather than a layup one... where the gelcoat is the first layer inside a mold. The wax should surface as the gelcoat cures... and cleaning it properly with a good dewaxer should be all you need to do.

Reactions: JomsViking

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, since the wax is going to come to the surface and can be removed, I'll go with the wax. Sounds easier, plus I'm buying enough so that there will be plenty for future jobs. In fact I have a bunch of chips and such all over, many in curved spots, so I think the waxed is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Evercoat One Step Premium Gel-Kote has arrived!

The instructions say to mix 12 drops of hardener with 1 oz of Gel-Kote.

Does it mean by weight or by volume? What do you guys use to measure it out?

Thanks...

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Volume—1 fluid ounce... not 1 ounce by weight. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.