SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every year I do a so-so job waxing the hull of my Cal 22. I do it manually with Star Brite and there is always alot of streaking, never goes away. Any suggestions on how to do this better? Orbital buffer? I'm contemplating asking the yard to do it this year, but I'd like to do it myself if it is not too time consuming.

·
Registered
695 Posts
You need to get your hull very clean and then I always use a paste wax by Meguirs (sp?). Takes a lot of buffing which I mostly do by hand but I am old fashioned. A good buffer will make it easier. You may need to do two coats to get it looking good.
I had a red boat one time and I did three coats a year but it stayed a nice bright red for years.

Have fun :)

Gary

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
A good wax job is time-consuming. There are no short cuts to a good wax job. Maine Sail has a few excellent posts on how to do it properly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dawn dish detergent will remove the wax....Just mix up a strong batch and wash the hull with it. The boat will get very clean and will have a resistance to it when you run your hand across it. I am not affiliated with the Dawn dish detergent manufacturing process nor do I sell it.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
An easier way to see if the topsides are free of wax is to spray it with water. If the surface is clean and wax free, the water will sheet, not bead up. Any where it beads up, there's wax or something else on the surface.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm going to let mine go a few more seasons... that should take care of it!!

I'm not sure that's the best option. Wax will ware off in an uneven manor and leave the hull blotchy This promotes chalking and staining because gel coat is porous. If you really want to remove the old wax then use a diluted ammonia mix or as 7P suggested use Dawn (or any detergent). Be careful with these products because they will also remove the waterproofing from sunbrella.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I should have added above, if your hull has not seen wax in a few years the gelcoat will be very dry and porous which makes the paste wax a ***** to get off. Just do small sections at a time and do not even let it fully dry just wipe it off. Then the second coat can be applied normaly.

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts