SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,943 Posts
Reaction score
Hi Zaneroni,

I see that you're in Minneapolis, so you must be talking about Calhoun, Harriet, or Nokomis. I have a Catalina 22 that I'll be putting on Nokomis pretty soon.

It came with a Minn Kota 74 lb thrust trolling motor that pushes its 2250 lbs around in any conditions you're likely to experience on the city lakes (according to the previous owner, this is my first year with the boat). It has a small solar system to keep the batteries charged.

I don't think I'd want to row tow your 1700 lb boat. Even towing a 400 lb MC can be a challenge if the wind picks up. It'd be pretty easy to lose control.

One thing I've seen some of the people with the bigger boats do is to bring their own little inflatable out and leave it tied to the buoy while out sailing. You're only going 50 feet from shore, so any child's toy would do.

And regarding hitting other boats… It happens. I've seen people rowing through the mooring field on Harriet and you'd swear they were deliberately playing bumper boats. I was out scrubbing my 22 last night and from the number of scuffs and dings it's clear it's been hit pretty often. Of course most of those hits are from light dinghies, you'd want to be more careful with your big boat.

(I love being able to refer to 21' and 22' boats as "big" :) )

· Registered
2,943 Posts
Reaction score
And forget the snubber - this isn't like a short dockline. You have lots of shock absorption due to the long length of the pennant and mooring chain.
The OP and I are on tiny city lakes in compact mooring fields, we only get to use a couple feet of line otherwise we'd swing into neighboring boats. I have one of those rubber mooring snubbers. Hmm. Say that twice. Rubber mooring snubber rubber mooring snubber. Sounds dirty for some reason :) Mooring Snubber

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.