SailNet Community banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Really starting to love this boat.

I'll relay what I've learned.... sail the headsail, sacrifice the mainsail trim if you have to (sail with a bubble) to keep the boat flat. Ease, foot, trim, point, repeat, gets you to weather, all with focus only on the headsail... if you are losing any bite with the headsail, you need to get it driving.

Because this boat is so headsail focused my observation is that even if you are able to go up a headsail size as soon as you can... it'll pay off when you are slightly off wind. My one and only spin launch (because I'm solo) gives me the impression this thing is a rocket nearly dead downwind.

Gotta watch the speedo to make sure VMG is satisfied, the slightest screw-up on trim loses a knot of speed.

It is actually an anyone can sail kind of boat, it takes a lot to get it to round up, but it seems that it takes a lot of practice to get optimum speed out of it. I'm looking forward to learning more with it.

In that category, I'd say this boat sails much more like the Capri 25, than my S2 7.9. The masthead similarities aside, the sensitivity to heel angle is the same as well (must be the wide round bottom, not sure). What I do like is the deeper leaner keel it makes the boat stick its course better even when overpowered and heeling to much. This gives a slow trimmer time to fix his mistakes (or the guy who went looking for a soda and comes topside to a +10 knot gust).

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Had a friend call me while he and his girlfriend were walking our lake's earthen dam, he asked if I was sailing? I used it as a opportunity for a photo op :)

Turnabout is fair play no? This was my view of him:

Earlier in the day I did manage to dig out my well used cruising spinnaker before the winds piped up, and before there were whitecaps all over the water. This is proof I launched it... yep its ugly! My symmetrical is pretty, and solid red. This certainly adds, um color. I have a matching symmetrical spinnaker (yep I'll stick with red).

To prove that there are sometimes good winds on our little lake, I had to get a short video... same day (later on). This is me with a very rare reef, and running the blade (94%). Just noticed my leeward shrouds are quite loose... Time to tune (before the next race).

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
I have always been a big fan of the Wavelength 24. I am delighted to hear that she is working out for you, especially since you are stuck with her because I checked on the red Capri 25 next door and noted that she has a red sail cover so she is not your old boat. I have always liked the Capri 25's as well, but the Wavelength should be a better boat. Lighter, more ballast, a little more form stability, a little faster, seems to sail to its rating well, and more sail area in its standing sail plan so not as reliant on big Genoas.

Jeff

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Placed in our last race overall 1st... and was 2nd real-time just behind a well-sailed J80, and in front of a well-sailed B25 and Melges 24. This race was an "ideal setup" for my boat though, light and variable winds, with chop (motorboats). At times doing literally 0 knots, other times 5 knots. Very odd winds.

Discovered some things...

Headstay sag is SUPER important...
Getting the outboard below and secure, is ALSO super important.
When the winds are 0, dumb luck is a huge help :)

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Ok, I found a local craigslist ad sporting a Cruise N Carry 2.5hp for $70... said it has a pull string thing that needs replaced (piece of cake right?)...

Anyway, I bought it without totally understanding, but when you pulled the cord, it was fine, and recoiled well, but didn't engage the flywheel... turns out there is a small semi-circular coat-hanger type ring that sits with fingers sticking out, that are supposed to engage the flywheel, and flip out legs that further engage the flywheel... a little bend here, and there, and viola' motor starts easy.

Next problem was the gear shift (really a gear shift in this size?)... Yep the gear shift was busted I pieced it together and used a hose clamp to hold it in place, then I used electrical tape to keep the hose clamp from sliding down. Gear shift fixed.

Finally the tang that released the tilt wasn't engaging... turns out the stops on the shaft were out of synch, so all I adjusted the shaft lower, and brought them back into synch again... now it tilts... now the tilt STOP wasn't working, apparently hasn't been used in years.. some WD-40 and some filing in the hole, and poof working again... this thing is like a wonder motor.

OK its a stinky, air cooled POS, but it cost me $70 and runs great, and weighs.. 18lbs!!!! and is 2.7 hp!!! Best yet? It can stay on the motor mount because it tilts 90 degrees (perfectly horizontal)!

I'm sorry but this has to be my best craigslist find yet...

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
First suggestion... Always spend time aboard your boat, and down below in a downpour... I found all the boat leaks in a hurry.

Chainplates are dripping (not bad, but bad enough that they need to be put on the list for winter).

Mast partners. The spartite works, but I think I need to tape above it, its merely a drip, but still a rubber boot might work well too

Forward hatch (fixed immediately by tightening the latch).

Companionway hatch sliders (fixed the following week, the bolts all loosened from when I installed, squashed the butyl tape better, and it sealed right back up).

PS: Boat is markedly faster with outboard below. Haven't tried the cruise n carry aboard yet, that hopefully is later today.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Just for the record, picked up another bullet (1st) in our local series yesterday. Yeah we're a small group of boats of cruisers and racers, and no its not a win at NOODs or something, but at least it gives me an idea how I'm doing.

I was pleased to have my regular crew mate with me, and a new guy that also has some race experience on several types of racers. Varied experience helps me figure out what I don't know (which could fill a library).

Either way, I'm pleased with how well the boat does in light air. Average winds were 5 knots, so VERY light indeed.

NOW I just need to work on my depowering for when the winds kick up. Maybe if I can do well in some heavier air, I'll feel like I've actually learned something.

Used the light 155 in this race, used the heavy 155 in the last.
We removed the outboard and locked it on starboard below right next to the mast step, attached it right to the bulkhead.
Used some headstay sag upwind to power up, played everything while watching speed... outhaul, vang, backstay, sheet, genoa cars... until we got speed and point. Eventually we got into a groove of what was working.

I have to say in THAT light of air, the wind shear is so dramatic, that flying a spinnaker is almost never possible. We didn't fly ours, and several people DID, each wound up regretting it. The Asyms did better than the syms, as most shear was from broad to beam reach, not DDW to Broad. At times I was on the edge of calling the launch, then a shift 90 degrees and I was reaching. The oscillations were predictable and dramatic (almost always at least 60 degrees).

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thought I'd put a bow on this thread.

First overall in my fleet, and first overall for the season. I still have ideas how to make the boat faster, but I'm very happy with my progress with the boat this season.

My tendency these days though is towards getting something easier to sail... Might be time to slow down and just enjoy the sail :)

Wavelength 24 is one helluva fun boat though.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thought I'd post my new adventures.
Things have kind of been a whirlwind for me these last 6 months. Went back to school, started my MBA, quit my job, got a new one, and am moving to Bedford, VA. House sold, house bought.

Oh and this is a sailing thread right? New home, Pelican Point Yacht club. Now if I can ONLY get a few minutes to actually sail. But Tom hooked me up and got Mini Moo launched.

New waters, Smith Mountain Lake

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
3 foot itis has hit me and I'm looking at much bigger boats.
Yesterday I sold Mini Moo to partners looking to race her proper like.

Details need worked out, but Mini Moo will be moved to Ohio and from there its anyone's guess. I am sure her new owners will likely remove her spots (cow-ards -- you see what I did there?), but the fact that she'll be crushing boats up to 6 foot longer than her, will be cool to see.

Gonna miss the Moo.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
I hope that Moo turned out to be as good a boat for you as I had suggested that she might be. It will be hard to find a 2 foot longer boat that would perform as well as Moo. Good luck with the next adventure. (Maybe 4 feetitis: a Laser 28)

Jeff

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Jeff, Moo has been an awesome boat.
Shes fast, responsive, and easy to sail... It takes effort to sail well, but rewards in spades when you get her right.

I have 6-8 foot itis. I am looking to get something I can hop on and enjoy, sail alone, and take a few folks with me. No more racing for me. Looking forward to roller furling, and maybe lazy jacks. Since I am now at Smith Mountain Lake in VA, I have access to water that does not turn solid, and a marina that has a travel lift and crane.

Boats I am considering, C&C 32, Hunter 31, and Hunter 30 (2 I think, 90s model). There is also an S2 9.1 available there, but I am not sure I want to go S2 again. The C&C I have seen in person and seems well sorted. I have just walked around the others.

I am concerned I will get bored on whatever I get, so a decent turn of speed is still a desire. I was shocked when the C&C sailed in under 4 knots of wind, with just a headsail. It wasn't fast, maybe 1.5 knots, but still, a lot of boats would not move. I'd love to see it in 20 knots true.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,886 Posts
I am concerned I will get bored on whatever I get, so a decent turn of speed is still a desire. I was shocked when the C&C sailed in under 4 knots of wind, with just a headsail. It wasn't fast, maybe 1.5 knots, but still, a lot of boats would not move. I'd love to see it in 20 knots true.
I think after the fast boats you have owned, you might be bored with a 6b foot-itis boat. How about a 30-ish foot cruiser and a racing dinghy when you want a thrill sail?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
While I understand that you are shying away from racing and are looking for a good daysailor/overnighter, I think that any of those boats that you are looking at (Except perhaps the S2 9.1) would bore you to tears and would be harder to handle than a more performance oriented boat. As a result there would be a tendency to use the boat less than you might a boat that had more sailing ability. In the affordable 30 foot range you might try to find a Soverel 30 https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/soverel-30-1979, Wavelength 30 https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/wavelength-30, Olsen 911, or to a lesser extent Santana 30-30, Dehler 31, X302 J-30 or J-29.

Jeff

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Jeff, you are a wise man.
I do actually listen to you. I am definitely worried about being bored on the C&C 32 which is my preference of the lot.

I am considering the S2 9.1 and think I'd drop into it and have no problems sailing it.
It comes down to which boat gives me the best bang for the buck, ie: lowest price.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Mini Moo went to her new home in Ohio. New owners Chris and John will be racing her on Lake Erie.

Sad to see her go, but happy for her new owners. They will have SUCH a blast with her.

Attachments

41 - 58 of 58 Posts