SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The bow is the pointy end
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 months ago my wife and I took a sailing class. Today we are closing on a 43ft Hunter Legend. This afternoon we are paying the first months rent for our live aboard slip. Shortly after that, we will be putting in notice at my current apartment. We are trading life on land for a life on the water.

Until last week the largest boat we had sailed was a Capri 22 belonging to our yacht club.

We moved to Los Angeles from Oregon 2 years ago...after not seeing any sun at all for 5 years. Since moving here we wanted to find a way to truly embrace the awesome weather here in California so we joined a yacht club and learned how to sail. Learning how to sail sparked a dream. After dreaming for a bit, we became more serious. The dream turned into a goal, and the planning phase started. We started looking at boats. After scouring craigslist, yacht world, pop yachts, and the myriad of boat brokering sites we started looking for a broker.

We chose an awesome broker from Denison Yachts in Marina Del Rey. If she thought we were bonkers for buying a big boat for our first time out, she kept it to herself. She explained the process of boat buying, referred us to great surveyors, and allowed us to really enjoy the process. Her advice/guidance/expertise has been fantastic.

So today marks the culmination of months of dreaming. We are incredibly excited to start our adventure. We have a big boat...now we need to learn how to sail it. Should be a hell of an experience.

·
19,489 Posts
Congrats... home the dream and the reality turn out to coincide!

·
Registered
653 Posts
And another thing . . .. . . . .I used to live in Hollywood, know MDR well . . .now I'm stuck in a snow storm in New England . . . .your story is killing me with envy . . . .

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike...we used to live in Rindge NH. That may have been the coldest winter I have ever experienced.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man...yeah, everything fell into place fairly nicely.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,293 Posts
May I suggest that the fastest way to get up to speed is to hire a sailing instructor that you feel comfortable with to take you out on your boat for a multi-day lesson. Because you own your boat, you are not looking for a certification sticker in a booklet, so you should work directly with the instructor instead of the school. I would also suggest your crewing with other skippers on their boats. Every time that you go out will learn something.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I had a lot of experience with small boats and the most valuable thing I did was spent a week on a 45' boat with a guy that taught me how to handle a big boat under power.

·
Catalina 400 MKII
818 Posts
Congratulations! Of course you are Bonkers, anyone who buys a sailboat has got to be... (speaking as one myself) ... You have a great boat. If you read a thread like the "Why do people hate Hunters", my thought is not to take any of that chatter too seriously. Yes, go sailing a lot. As my Dad used to say, "Smooth seas, and a fair wind at your back".

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having been a pilot, a BASE jumper, a skydiver, and a high threat security contractor I am not adverse to calculated risk. That being said, I have never undertaken any of the above activities without extensive training. I won't be risking the structural /watertight integrity of my home/boat without gaining at least a little knowledge. So while outwardly I can project a "how hard can it be?" mentality...I actually know how hard it can be. I have the rest of my life to learn how to sail a big boat well. And, I am so excited to start! Our instructor is pretty excited as well.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the encouragement Scotty. I perused the various Hunter Hater threads...there were some interesting things said on them. Haters gonna hate...that's what they do. Our survey showed us we have a solid boat, at the price we wanted to pay. We have a slip in the marina we wanted to be in, and the sun shines every single day where I live. I am going to enjoy my Hunter every single day...through the good and the bad.
I surmise that sailing is like any other sport/lifestyle...know your gear, maintain your gear, keep skills sharp, make good decisions, and the risk of catastrophic events decreases exponentially. 3300 Skydives, 75 plus BASE jumps, and two deployments to hot sandy places taught me that. As far as me being "bonkers"...I know I am :D I fit right in with all of the other sailors I know.

·
Registered
22,348 Posts
....If she thought we were bonkers for buying a big boat for our first time out, she kept it to herself...
She wasn't hiding anything. Broker love it, the more you pay! It's only forums that poke folks in the eye for it. If you have the aptitude for sailing/cruising, you'll be totally fine. Your risk management approach will suit you well. The trick is to learn what you don't know. The sailing is the easy part. Learning the proper/compliant methods for maintenance and repair are not as intuitive. Read everything you can, get some Don Casey and/or Nigel Calder books, if you don't already have them.

Congratulations on the new to you boat!! Pics please.

Reactions: S/V Artemis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recommend you take ASA 104 & 105 classes on a school's cruiser boat and even the ASA Ocean Cruising Classes. These are basic coastal cruising and coastal navigation and charting courses and will be a big help to you. Maneuvering and docking a big boat is way different than a 22' daysailer. Once out in open water, things are a bit easier but recommend you be conservative for a while (I am conservative always as a cruiser) reducing sail early in wind. Another issue you will find with a big boat is finding the "bottom" more often than you might like. Plan, watch and be careful. Enjoy your dream.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NLP- Thanks for the advice. We plan on doing said courses on our boat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts