SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked my local harbor master if there were any slips or dock available in the Greenbackville VA township harbor for a Mac 26D sailboat. He said no sailboats are allowed on the Chincoteague Bay - only power boats due to the water depth. I explained I only needed 18" depth and will only use the outboard. I'll even take the mast off. But he said NO WAY! Should I sue for discrimination against sailors? Is the Mac a "power boat" or a "sailboat"? Is there an official statement on this? Does he have the power and final say?

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
It sounds like it is not a place you want to be anyway...who wants to be surrounded by nothing but power boats?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would definitely go elsewhere. I thought the MacGregor's were trailer boats anyway? Sounds like the Chincoteague Bay isn't a place to sail. Harbor Master probably has the final say as far as that place goes unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
4,747 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen at a big marina in Thousand Islands with my Bay Hen. Told me I would be a liability at their gas dock because they could only guarantee 4 feet. Bay Hen draws 9 inches. I got the impression the marina owner just didn't like sailboats or sailors and they weren't hurting for business so what ever. I got over it and used the next ramp down, they had ice cream and beer, so no big deal.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I've sailed there on a Stiletto 27 (catamaran). Yes, the draft is quite limiting, but there's a good bit of 4-6 feet and some cool stuff to explore. There is also a 3-4 foot tide; it high tide you can go most places, you just have to watch the time. Any boat that can lift dagger board and rudders is fine. Remember, of course, you can't sail with the foils up, only motor. You can sail up to Ocean City.

Sail boats are certainly "allowed," just not common. But there are many shoal draft boats that would be fun to sail out of there.

I don't think there is a fuel dock.

·
Registered
23,884 Posts
I asked my local harbor master if there were any slips or dock available in the Greenbackville VA township harbor for a Mac 26D sailboat. He said no sailboats are allowed on the Chincoteague Bay................
Was he saying they would not rent a slip to a sailboat, or he forbid a sailboat from being on the Bay whatsoever. Seems very unlikely that any one town's harbormaster would be delegated that much control.

They can, however, set whatever occupancy rules they want for the marina. As others said, you really don't want to be the only sailboat or powerboat in a marina. The cultures are very different and it would get uncomfortable. Most would be good natured ribbing, but it would get old, if you were alone. A marina with a good mix of the two is the best detente.

Reactions: Warren631

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've sailed there on a Stiletto 27 (catamaran). Yes, the draft is quite limiting, but there's a good bit of 4-6 feet and some cool stuff to explore. There is also a 3-4 foot tide; it high tide you can go most places, you just have to watch the time. Any boat that can lift dagger board and rudders is fine. Remember, of course, you can't sail with the foils up, only motor. You can sail up to Ocean City.

Sail boats are certainly "allowed," just not common. But there are many sh
Was he saying they would not rent a slip to a sailboat, or he forbid a sailboat from being on the Bay whatsoever. Seems very unlikely that any one town's harbormaster would be delegated that much control.

They can, however, set whatever occupancy rules they want for the marina. As others said, you really don't want to be the only sailboat or powerboat in a marina. The cultures are very different and it would get uncomfortable. Most would be good natured ribbing, but it would get old, if you were alone. A marina with a good mix of the two is the best detente.
Thanks for your reply!

oal draft boats that would be fun to sail out of there.

I don't think there is a fuel dock.
Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I once kept my sailboat at a powerboat marina. There was some ribbing, mostly good natured, but the real advantage I noticed to being in a powerboat marina was no birds!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Doesn't want someone who will take up space, not buy fuel, and (probably as he sees it) constantly complain about heavy wakes.

·
Administrator
7,617 Posts
Had that in Panama (a country)... They were full of sport fishing boats that use 1,000+ litres of fuel per day.
Their fuel dock hated white floppy things!

·
Master Mariner
9,071 Posts
If you remember the rules, a sailing vessel is not a sailing vessel unless it has it's sails up and actually trying to sail. At all other times it must be considered a powered craft.
As far as suing him, well that's exactly the prime reason Americans are now not welcome as crew, even on American flagged vessels, overseas. Frivolous lawsuits! That's our legacy overseas.
A marina can make any rules they want Those wishing to liveaboard can't sue a marina to get a slip if the marina doesn't allow liveaboards.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
You have to visit Greenbackville to comprehend just how small a place it is. The powerboats are not deep sea, they are workboats and they haul their fuel to the wharf in tanks in their pick-up trucks.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
You have to visit Greenbackville to comprehend just how small a place it is. The powerboats are not deep sea, they are workboats and they haul their fuel to the wharf in tanks in their pick-up trucks.
Actually, now I see that it has experienced a lot of growth since I was there 30 years ago. But the Bay is still shallow, and beautiful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts