SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Interesting that in a world were fully enclosed cockpits are becoming more of the norm the humble weather cloth has seemingly passed from fashion.

I confess ours have shuffled off their mortal coil but they'll be replaced at some time. Thus far I've only missed them a couple of times but on a longish voyage that would be multiplied somewhat.

Any of you ocean voyagers who are reading this .... do you have them ? If so are they worthwhile ? If not why not ?

Maybe today's high freeboard boats make WCs less necessary than in the past ?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
we used them on our trip...they were great...its was on a steel 37 footer...with an open transom design

the cloths did a great job mostly in preventing those slappers or wayward waves that play to a different tune(notice I didnt say rogue waves)

they also shield and buffer some unwanted wind whe doing stuff in the cockpit like looking at charts or a cruising guide or whatnot

oh and dont forget eating in windy weather sometimes plates would flip if we werent in the lee of them

jajaja

I vote yay for them...simple and work ok.

·
Owned by Velcro
756 Posts
They get my vote to, but I have not gotten round to making some for my boat yet ..... it is somewhere on the never ending to do list

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Interesting that in a world were fully enclosed cockpits are becoming more of the norm the humble weather cloth has seemingly passed from fashion.

I confess ours have shuffled off their mortal coil but they'll be replaced at some time. Thus far I've only missed them a couple of times but on a longish voyage that would be multiplied somewhat.

Any of you ocean voyagers who are reading this .... do you have them ? If so are they worthwhile ? If not why not ?

Maybe today's high freeboard boats make WCs less necessary than in the past ?
It's a shame they have fallen out of favor, I find mine to be incredibly effective. Amazing, what a difference simply blocking the wind and spray can make in cooler weather, I'd bet that at least some folks might realize they could get away without a full enclosure, if they sailed on a boat with proper weather cloths for a bit...

They can come in handy in warmer climes, as well - affording a good deal of privacy in harbor or crowded anchorages, particularly on a boat like mine where showering in warm weather is usually done in the cockpit. The addition of weather cloths is known to increase the likelihood that female guests will be more comfortable shedding various bits of apparel while lounging in the cockpit in a crowded anchorage such as Georgetown...

I have no 'data' to support that assertion, however, only 'anecdotal' evidence... :)

Again, it's a mystery why they're not more common. Especially in places like the NE US, where they can be really beneficial in extending one's sailing season. Dead simple to fabricate, especially when using a material like Stamoid. A friend did the Caribbean 1500 on a boat with weather cloths made from Phifertex mesh. At the outset she doubted how effective they would be, but she said even such a mesh material worked surprisingly well, and I'm thinking about making up a set from Phifertex for use down south...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Christian:
We made some up for our previous boat and they were very useful.
I started a thread here about that projects with photos.

I need to make some up for our current boat. Phifertex seems like an interesting option (used some black Phifertex on our screen doors at home to "dog proof" them - but don't want to get too far off topic).

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
We have weather cloths made of the clear plastic used for dodger windows with doubled webbing with grommets sewn around the edges. They are secured to the top life lines and stanchion bases with 1/4" shock-cord when needed. They extend from the pushpit to just forward of the aft end of our dodger. They keep wind, spray off the cockpit but will yield to a wave (hence the shock-cord) if necessary and do not (completely) obscure one's view to weather when steering from leeward. Normally we only rig them during winter months or when going (far) off-shore.

FWIW...

·
3,506 Posts
Yes, easy to make and install, keeps the cockpit dry. Not sure why they are a mystery?

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
cause somebody probably said whats that ugly cloth on those boats? yuck!!!! and it spread like the plague through the marina queen crowd! jajajajajaja

I saw them all the time while out there...on all sorts of boats

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
They seem almost ubiquitous on boats in the UK at least from photos I have seen. Makes sense given there weather!

I could even see them giving a bit of privacy in an anchorage or marina, just enough to make the cockpit a nice place to have dinner without seeming to be in the open.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
the couple I sailed with always showered naked in the cockpit while going around the world...they refused to shower inside...

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
the couple I sailed with always showered naked in the cockpit while going around the world...they refused to shower inside...
So the WCs avoided shocking the dolphins?

Anyway I had WCs on the boat in UK waters but once I got to the Caribbean they were consigned to the locker never to reappear. If it gets splashy I just hide behind the dodger.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
As Christian says it is those odd waves that don't run with the crowd you have to watch out for. Size is not necessarily the issue. Some waves are simply anarchists.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
So the WCs avoided shocking the dolphins?

Anyway I had WCs on the boat in UK waters but once I got to the Caribbean they were consigned to the locker never to reappear. If it gets splashy I just hide behind the dodger.
yes the dolphins in anchorages and the occasional mooring or marina. wink wink...

oh and dodgers dont do squat for trade wind sailing...or downwind sailing hence the reason for weather cloths

jons pic is a good one as it shows the full wrap around the stern

port and starboard cloths are great for beam reaching or broad reaching.

having said that these days cruisers have so much crap off the stern with towers, motor cranes, windvanes, propane tanks, bananas whatever that its hard to get a splash direct from the stern...so cloths cant even be ´placed there sometimes...

anywhoo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts