SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a cruise from Holland, MI, through the North Channel and Georgian Bay leaving around June 1. I have never sailed on the Great Lakes and would appreciate any insight into typical weather patterns for that time of year. Temps look pretty cool, but I am more interested in information concerning likelihood of heavy weather, fog etc...
Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heavy weather and fog are a possibility that time of year. Cool is not a strong enough term. Racing the Mac races in July can require long underwear, winter gloves and hats. Often water temps in northern huron are still in the 40s in July.

·
Seattle Sailor
192 Posts
More storms and intermittently stronger winds in early June than later. Should not be a problem if you keep an eye on the weather forecast. Storms come up pretty quick, and waves can get quite high and steep in upper Huron and Michigan lakes, but less in the North Channel. Watch the sky as well, as there tends to be lots of local storm cells in the spring, particularly if the temperatures are higher. Nights will probably be cool, but comfortable with a sweater or sweatshirt. Days will be beautiful - probably an ideal time to go is you like sailing instead of motoring. HAve a good trip.

·
Caribbean Surveyor
511 Posts
It will be a quiet sail for you, as there aren't many boats in the North Channel at that time of the year. You may get a bit of fog in the very early morning, but it's quite rare. It won't be warm and the water will be very cold, but the mosquitos shouldn't be out yet...that's a bonus. As far as storms, you may encouter high winds and some rain. Our big storms have been in late July early August in the last few years. You'll be fine...have a great sail.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Mosquitoes and other crowds

Depending on the weather the mosquitoes could be out. Also in June, black flies swarm in great numbers - they tend to be killed off by the first really hot spell after their hatch. Make sure you have good screens and you might want to choose anchorages that have a bit of breeze rather than ones that are totally still in the evening. The swarm of people that you get in July/early August will not be there which is a plus. I agree with others that it could be cool, or very hot, it is not predictable. The Channel is much warmer than the open lake though. Fog can be an issue. I think that you can have a great time, just be prepared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts