SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to pick up a nice wireless weather station, both for myself, and my father (as a gift).

I would like one with some nice features, like anemometer, barometer, udometer, thermometer, etc...nice digital display...

Any of you intrepid sailors have a recommendation for a good model?

This would be for a house...not on the boat.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Depends on your definition of "nice." The Admiral, bless her heart, surprised me with an Oregon Scientific WMR-918 one Christmas. Wonderful idea. Too bad OS' Chinese manufacturer didn't spend a few pennies more here-and-there on the transducers. The outside hygrometer was painfully slow and never would hit 100%. The rain gauge was very tricky to calibrate. The anemometer was a joke from day 1. Several years later: The outside thermometer/hygrometer stopped working altogether. A year later the rain gauge stopped reporting. Oddly enough: The anemometer and wind direction stuff is still working, and those are the sensors that usually go first.

If you want something for idle amusement that'll kinda give you a rough idea of what's happening outside (cue hanging rope joke): A cheap weather station is okay. But don't expect anything too accurate or too long-lived.

Jim

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...I thought the ones I saw seemed low in price. I was surprised that some were $80 or so. The one I liked was around $125. But then, digital devices are cheap, so what do I know?

Hmmm...you get what you pay for...seems I've heard that somewhere before.

And the hunt goes on...

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I had seen many online places which talked about, and sold weather stations...which is what prompted me to ask for opinions on actual brands, based on actual experience...

Not something Consumer Reports generally reviews.

Wonder if CNET has something...

·
Registered
433 Posts
c40eb,
You are absolutely right, you get what you pay for!
I bought one of those cheap $100 ones and ended up taking it all down and returning it for a refund, it did not work very well at all, just temp and barometer worked. The wind thingy never reported on screen and niether did the rain collector or hygrometer. It turned out to be an exercise in frustration installing it and testing it. I think you would have to spend a bit of coin to get something worth having. The Davis one that Dog provided a link to looks pretty sound, I might be tempted to go for it if I ever get enthusiastic about one again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Davis Instruments Wireless Weather Station

Davis is the way to go, great products, good specification and reliable and with great product support.

I found the best price was from wwwDOTprovantageDOTcom/davis-instruments~880DAVSDOThtm
Sorry you will have to cut and paste the above url, not enough posts yet to post a link just replace DOT with a period.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
FWIW: When I was actively involved in the weather station thing, right after I got mine, that was the "common wisdom": That if you wanted a decent weather station, Davis was the minimum you had to go. Problem is: Davis is relatively expensive--as compared to the cheap stuff that works only moderately well, if it works at all, and does not last.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts