SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is Sailnet so slow?
Slow to fill pages, lags when I type this.

Nothing on any other web pages are affected.

Just Sailnet.

Slow, slow, slow.

:confused: :mad:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Timestamp: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:31:35 UTC

Message: 'getElementsByTagName(...).0' is null or not an object
Line: 54
Char: 2085
Code: 0
URI: http://www.sailnet.com/newmenu/ocscript.js

Is all I can figure out from IE.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
We're not sure, but we're asking Admin to look into it.

Apologies...

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Safari is taking a real beating. The page layout is getting whacked and everything is slowing.

My hunch is that the new flash ads have some buggy script - and padding. Safari is notorious for not liking buggy AS.

FF is okay on my Macs, though.

·
Apropos of Nothing
1,736 Posts
Attention all you arm-chair techies! Check out the Firefox plug-in called "YSlow". You can download it here: Yahoo! YSlow for Firebug.

It'll help tell you what's taking so long. Then you can create a Topic called "Hey, Admins, you should use a CDN to serve your JavaScript".

;)

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"Why is Sailnet so slow?"
Well, if some a you guys would pay up your back dues, they could afford to buy real computers and real data lines to plug them into.

Or, the problem might be the Island Forum Software that runs the board. "Ya mon, I gots a message here to post." "Okay, I come by post it a week next Tuesday."

And sometimes, that's just perfectly normal except for you pushy American city folks, thinking a week next Tuesday isn't good enough for you all.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Whatever it was or is I'm not noticing it at the moment.

Thats using Firefox.

·
Registered
401 Posts
On the brighter side, searches in the "store" section of SailNet -- as opposed to these forums -- have gotten a little better over the last several weeks.

But I agree, the server here has gotten painfully slow.

·
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well,

It seems to be a little better but it is still slow.

When I am typing this I can type a word and it does not show up for a couple of more words.

Nothing else is out of the ordinary that I can note.

Maybe I am just the impatient type but waiting for the screen at every move or click is getting to be too much and I don't want to miss anything.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
No problem here. Certainly no delay between typing and appearing on screen, its instant.

From click reply to appear on screen is a couple of seconds max.

·
Super Moderator
6,773 Posts
Still slow. I'm on a T1 line so it should be blisteringly fast. Click on "New Posts" at the top and see how slow the drop down box loads. I even dusted off IE and tried it in Safari and it's acting the same in all three browsers...?

P.S. It took 11 seconds for this message to post, from the time I hit submit, on a T1 line, something is wrong. It should be milliseconds...

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Maine,

Sorry for delay as its now four hours after your post but when I hit NewPosts it took three seconds to load and I'm only on an ADSL line.

From submit reply to load took five seconds.

Andrew

Edit - PS,

Someone mentioned video ads ?? I've never seen one, maybe they are being blocked as I'm behind our business's firewall, maybe that's why I am not suffering any delay. Perhaps Admin might like to check and see if it is an ad download causing the problems.

TD

·
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still slow. I'm on a T1 line so it should be blisteringly fast. Click on "New Posts" at the top and see how slow the drop down box loads. I even dusted off IE and tried it in Safari and it's acting the same in all three browsers...?

P.S. It took 11 seconds for this message to post, from the time I hit submit, on a T1 line, something is wrong. It should be milliseconds...
Still like that for me.

I can type faster than the screen puts the letters up.

I don't know what is what since I am no techi geek.

I am just spoiled by what I am used to I guess.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts