SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a Catalina 27 in NYC (Newport, NJ actually). We just bought the boat, and have done most of our sailing in the NYC Harbor. We would like to find a) some good places that we could sail to for good day trips where we could possibly anchor and swim and b) good weekend trip (overnight) destinations, also possibly with decent beaches.

Anyone have any good suggestions??

Thanks!

Beck

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Get yourself a copy of the Cruising Guide to New England, which also covers Long Island Sound. Plenty of places in LIS you could go for a weekend.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
He's in Jersey guys! How is he gonna make it up the East River to the sound in a C27 on Saturday...and have time to do anything...then turn around and come back on Sunday..all while timing the tide/current in Hell gate?

I'd be thinking Coney Island, Rockaway Inlet and Sheepshead Bay.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Boats from my club in Glen Cove commonly go for a weekend through Hell's Gate to NYC and back, so going the other way is certainly possible.

Sandy Hook in NJ would be a good destination also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm just a few a miles north of you (at Lincoln Harbor). I bought a Catalina 250 at the end of last season. My wife and I just made a trip to Sandy Hook, NJ and had a great time (her first overnight trip). Sandy hook is only about 20NM away... so depending on the wind it is more a day trip. The bay sure beats the Hudson river traffic. Both Sandy Hook and Great Kills are good places to anchor. I suggest you checkout the activecaptain web site you can scroll around the map for anchorages. I've also sailed my boat everywhere between here and Boston. If you have any more questions or ever need a hand or crewmember let me know (I'm new to this site but I'm sure it has private messaging).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just a few a miles north of you (at Lincoln Harbor). I bought a Catalina 250 at the end of last season. My wife and I just made a trip to Sandy Hook, NJ and had a great time (her first overnight trip). Sandy hook is only about 20NM away... so depending on the wind it is more a day trip. The bay sure beats the Hudson river traffic. Both Sandy Hook and Great Kills are good places to anchor. I suggest you checkout the activecaptain web site you can scroll around the map for anchorages. I've also sailed my boat everywhere between here and Boston. If you have any more questions or ever need a hand or crewmember let me know (I'm new to this site but I'm sure it has private messaging).
Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. I had been thinking about Sandy Hook... glad to hear a good recommendation for it. I'll look into Great Kills, too. Someone else also recommended it.

B

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well your NOT going to enjoy swimming on LIS this season as for some strange reason the jelly fish are OUT OF CONTROL :(

And with the way they have been stoping shellfishing and closeing beaches this year i would not say the water quality is real nice anyway

Cant even clean the bottom this early without a wetsuit

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
I like swimming in the LI Sound but Tommays is correct about the jelly fish. I noticed them in the water over a month ago which is odd since they usually peak with the warm water in August/September. I do not think that the species of jelly fish that we have now are the real nasty red stingy ones we get in high summer though.
You might consider going up the Hudson to Haverstraw Marina (@ 30 nm) which had a pool when I was last there. Nice scenery for the most part.
You might also consider going down the Jersey coast to Shark River Inlet (@ 10 nm).
I think that your cleanest salt water experiences would be found around Gardiner's Bay which is a bit far for a weekend expedition. Doing the East River is a blast but you do have to time it with the tides.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just read an article about someone swimming in the east river....Oh wait nevermind it was just a dead body...:D

I actually live on the east river in Long Island City and took my 25' boat from Northport to Liberty Landing Marina in Jersey last year. We times the tides perfect so it only took as about 6 hours. Northport and Huntington are nice or even if you don't want to go that far you can go to Manhasset Bay, Oyster Bay. Much further east you have Port Jeff which is a greta little harbor with a lot to do in terms of restaurants, bars, walking around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the good info, everyone! Can't wait to take a few trips, especially when/if the weather ever starts cooperating!

Beck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts