SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past week or so I've been smelling mildew or what I thought was out gasing of the holding tank which is now empty.

A couple nights ago I noticed water trickling across underneath the plywood & the port bunk "oh my!" methinks.

Over 10 years ago we repaired the polyethylene tank on my Oday30 with 3m DP 8005

If I can get it 3m is extremely expensive almost the cost of another tank, although the tank in there is custom made a 30 gallon 18x12x36 seems like a possible retro fit.

(There is also an aft tank)

Further research tells me 3M DP 810 should work as well as the former DP 8005. I did find a polyethylene repair kit made for plastic kayaks which is the same material water tanks are made out of. It's more affordable g-flex made for this type of plastic from West system.
The tank is now sitting in the cockpit of the boat I thought it was leaking on the bottom but it was actually leaking
at the top.

Photos tell the story
Gas Machine Wood Room Linens
Building Wood Table Floor Flooring
Wood Floor Gas Flooring Machine
Wood Gas Rectangle Machine Technology
Slope Automotive exterior Tints and shades Freezing Wood

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
I didn’t think these were easily fixed with adhesive. I do think they can be “welded”, which seems to be a form of melting together.

There are a few aftermarket tank makers who can replicate entirely. You might give it a bit of searching. I don’t like to worry about holding tanks leaking. :oops:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
This is a water tank, not holding tank? If holding tank, then just replace it. You don't want to mess around there. If water, maybe fix it if inexpensive because it is easy to get back out later if that doesn't last long.

Might want to look through Ronco Tank's catalog. There is a good chance they made the tank for Hunter and have it in stock.

Mark

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water, the polyethylene repair actually does work, if I decide to use it again which I probably will

·
Administrator
8,368 Posts
There is a 2 part polyethelene glue in the marine shops. You need to read the lable extremely carefully to make sure you get the right stuff.

Then you heat treat the area with a blow torch - not to melt the plastic but just heat trwat the plastic for a few seconds and then glue over. Works a treat :)

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a 2 part polyethelene glue in the marine shops. You need to read the lable extremely carefully to make sure you get the right stuff.

Then you heat treat the area with a blow torch - not to melt the plastic but just heat trwat the plastic for a few seconds and then glue over. Works a treat :)

Been there done that Mark! absolutely has to be the right stuff for polyethylene! nothing else will stick most people think 5200, silicone or epoxy, but almost nothing will stick to Poly except specially made compounds made for polyethylene. But they are expensive so people try to cheap out. And come out with a leaking tank like I had underneath my port bunk

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife
1 - 6 of 6 Posts