SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldnt find regional categories anymore so posted here. Im on south shore of Long Island NY. and am really surprised by the weather we have had the past couple weeks (as are other boaters I know) .
The wind on the bay might ordinarily blow up abit toward the mid to late afternoon but lately its blowing up early 11:00am to 20mph and reaching gusts up to 32mph by 3 or 4 pm. Very odd and though still far preferable to winter..its not always conducive to a lazy sail and swim on the bay (sustained 20+ makes for some serious chop! Anyway dont get me wrong..its sailable but strenuous and most importantly its just an odd pattern ....have others had an atypical early summer as well?

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,083 Posts
Couldnt find regional categories anymore so posted here. Im on south shore of Long Island NY. and am really surprised by the weather we have had the past couple weeks (as are other boaters I know) .
The wind on the bay might ordinarily blow up abit toward the mid to late afternoon but lately its blowing up early 11:00am to 20mph and reaching gusts up to 32mph by 3 or 4 pm. Very odd and though still far preferable to winter..its not always conducive to a lazy sail and swim on the bay (sustained 20+ makes for some serious chop! Anyway dont get me wrong..its sailable but strenuous and most importantly its just an odd pattern ....have others had an atypical early summer as well?
We have had a series of high pressure systems coming in from the west and low pressure systems moving up the coast. It makes for a steep pressure gradient and a lot of wind. While most of these lows have not been especially deep, they started coming earlier in the season, and with greater frequency than is typical. The good news about the highs is that they have brought unseasonably comfortable air temperatures before they disbursed.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Same here on the gulf. You should see the barometric chart for yesterday, two peaks with a deep trough between them. However Sunday was a great sailing day in the morning. Started out at about 8kts, built to 15 by noon and peaked 20 gusting to 23. It was a south wind so the chop wasn't so bad as when from the SE. Those fronts that travel across the country can suck a lot of wind from the gulf. We are normally through with this stuff by now.
John

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Same in my neighborhood. Wind blows all night, our typical summer settled condition is light air till around noon, then we get 15-25 SW in the afternoon.... makes for comfortable sleeping and reduced sail sailing. Air conditioner at home is in the off position.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Maybe it's something to do with the late spring and colder offshore water than is usual for July. Is it possible a greater temp. differential between land and ocean on a warm sunny day is causing the normal afternoon breeze to kick in earlier? That's interesting. I was a bayman for years and am familiar with the GSB wind.

Looking at the NOAA water temp averages for July 1-10, it looks like the water temp offshore is right where it usually is: around 67 degrees. So, the above theory is not the answer. It must be just a weather system phenom.

Reactions: oysterman23

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Another local anecdote.

I have been volunteering with a junior sailing program on the north shore of Long Island in Hempstead Harbor for 5 years now. In the past the 3 week program which starts in late June and runs well into July has rarely had winds over 10 knots between 9 am and noon. In fact we were usually lucky if we had one or two days out of 3 weeks with winds over 10 knots as the LI Sound in summer is also known as "the dead zone".
This season there has been a decent wind for Sunfish sailing almost every day.
I love it, but it is not the norm I have come to expect for July/August on LI Sound.
We seem to be having an unusual summer, so far.

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Caleb and Murphy. Murph I too was a baymen into my midtwenties..interesting idea you brought up . Caleb The Narascatucks were going wild the other day just off Babylon Yacht Club during a race. Comin in on Sat from the south flats i saw a Sunfish work its way across and into Sumpuams River so as inconvenient as it may be its hardly deadly! Regards

·
Registered
583 Posts
Weird weather here in BC too. It's been sunny with wind, instead of rain with periods of rain.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
It seems the summer weather pattern has settled in here now, but it was a long time coming. Spring storms, northerlies, etc just wouldn't let go. Then an early July hurricane. Geesh.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm glad to hear that we aren't the only ones...for the most part the work to reward ratio (we just sail in circles on a small lake currently) has been pretty high lately...haven't sailed nearly as much as we did last summer, kind of depresses me really.

·
Registered
311 Posts
FL has been a complete mess this year.

I haven't lived here long, but the last 2 years it seems like the summer storms we had were mostly small, isolated storms that formed and dissipated quickly. They were only a few miles wide and getting stuck in one usually only required a few minutes of riding it out.

Not this year, it seems like every day for the past 2 weeks the entire FL east coast has been blanketed with massive storms that go from about 2 PM until 7 or 8 at night, sometimes later. They form very quickly, a matter of minutes starting at some point in the afternoon and the entire area is just covered.

I'm not sure how you get any kind of sailing, flying, or activity other than sitting indoors done this type of year.

Attachments

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Hi Caleb and Murphy. Murph I too was a baymen into my midtwenties..interesting idea you brought up . Caleb The Narascatucks were going wild the other day just off Babylon Yacht Club during a race. Comin in on Sat from the south flats i saw a Sunfish work its way across and into Sumpuams River so as inconvenient as it may be its hardly deadly! Regards
Yes, the wind on the bay during July-Sept is normally predictable enough to set your watch by. At 14:00 wind starts to pipe up and blows 15-20 until after dark. I've found it's basically the same from LI up through The Cape and doesn't usually make for very good morning sailing during the summer months. I used to have a 40' tong boat and worked both south and north shores. I understand there's not much clamming going on down there anymore. There used to be hundreds of clamboats from Moriches to Oyster Bay.

·
A perfect day!
116 Posts
Im on south shore of Long Island NY. and am really surprised by the weather we have had the past couple weeks (as are other boaters I know) .
The wind on the bay might ordinarily blow up abit toward the mid to late afternoon but lately its blowing up early 11:00am to 20mph and reaching gusts up to 32mph by 3 or 4 pm.
Hey...I agree...been seeing a lot of days with winds over 16kts. Since I often sail solo, I too prefer lighter wind with less chop. The chop has been so prevalent that when I've gone out, I choose to sail in to the marina, and my slip, and spare my outboard from coming out of the water on each wave.

·
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well it'll subside into the usual Im sure. Ive got a short haul comin up to paint bottom and restore centerboard pennant...have redone sheaves and cable inside boat. Cant wait to have the board And new sails....probably feel fabulous going to weather!.
Anyway Murph there are now about four guys tonging steady from here to Bayshore! One of them keeps his boat at the head of my creek (Araca) the rest of the watermen are crabbing and fishing. These days parts of the bay are just too populated for my taste..I gunkhole and sail off the usual paths as much as I can....

·
Freedom isn't free
3,136 Posts
It must be .....GLOBAL WARMING.

:chaser
Get with the program, it's "climate change," that way they are covered if it gets warmer OR cooler!

Honestly I thought it was just us that were experiencing wild summer weather. We typically see W to NW winds on our lake all summer, and notably light to boot. Rarely ever do we see S or SE winds... and frankly I've seen decent winds A LOT on the lake (you know anything over 15mph is A LOT for us)... On top of that more than half the time it's from S or SE, which again is pretty unusual.

What I am basically saying is I've had some of this lakes best sailing conditions so far this year, so I am all for it... Climate Change notwithstanding.

Of course, when we actually have a race you can bank on low winds (3-5mph) and from the W, making it hard to get a good upwind start (narrow lake).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts