SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Barking Dog
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed about 200' of welding cable from my boat (replaced with 1/0 UL grade). Is this stuff worth anything or should I just toss it in the dumpster?

·
Bender of Nails
66 Posts
And it makes great jumper cables if you've got any long lengths of it...

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Either sell it as scrap or make a bunch of long heavy weight jumper cables out of it. I have a set of 25' jumper cables in my truck that are worth their weight in gold...it means I can usually pull up behind a vehicle and jump start them on the highway, rather having to pull up along side them. ;)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
if you wanted to send me about 14 feet of decent stuff ( in 7 foot pieces ) i would gladly pay shipping. i want to add another battery but need to move it out of the battery box.

other wise if its long pieces go to a welding company they may pay you more than scrap prices

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
If it was bare wire (not tinned) and the strands have punked out from green crud...try lopping a yard off the end, and repeating that 2-3 times if necessary, to see if the crud really worked in. If so, the scrap yard. If not--it is still good cable for other uses.

Heck, even if it is only so-so, it might still make a decent "when all else fails" marine-length jumper cable to charge the boat tied up alongside you.(G)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I wouldn't use this on a boat. You're much better off with pre-tinned marine grade cable. :D
if you wanted to send me about 14 feet of decent stuff ( in 7 foot pieces ) i would gladly pay shipping. i want to add another battery but need to move it out of the battery box.

other wise if its long pieces go to a welding company they may pay you more than scrap prices

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I wouldn't use this on a boat. You're much better off with pre-tinned marine grade cable. :D

i know but for the price of shipping i would make due till i could replace it. lets see the list of things i need before i do another battery, unless cable was free in my order

paint
autopilot
new bimini
gps/sonar
solar
new sails

i have 230 amp hours of new battery right now, but another 115 would be nice. right now i am about 2 days of minimal use before i charge, one day at high use

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Scotty-
"free" cable would still cost you more than good cable.

Consider:
Shipping cost, the same for each
Lugs
Crimps or crimping tool
time running cable
time strapping cable down
Cable ties themselves

All of that is totally wasted and consumed in the job. The cable itself will be maybe half the total cost (of the lugs, shipping, etc.) so in the end, by spending half twice you'll have spent the same thing that getting the right cable would have cost you. Except, you'll also spend twice the time.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Well said HS... :) and you run the risks that old, non-marine grade cable can bring with it... like burning down your boat.

Scotty-
"free" cable would still cost you more than good cable.

Consider:
Shipping cost, the same for each
Lugs
Crimps or crimping tool
time running cable
time strapping cable down
Cable ties themselves

All of that is totally wasted and consumed in the job. The cable itself will be maybe half the total cost (of the lugs, shipping, etc.) so in the end, by spending half twice you'll have spent the same thing that getting the right cable would have cost you. Except, you'll also spend twice the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts