SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first its an original 1gm

it has been cranky on starting the last few trips out, ie really need to crank on it. once started it runs great, and will restart pretty well. when it would start it would blow lots of black smoke on start up, but not on a restart. well today i had to get the boat of anchor due to winds, and it would not start. it took me 45 mins of cranking and bleeding and more cranking to get it to start. it stalled when put in gear and yes it was warm, i managed to get it off anchor and when maneuvering over to tie up it died and would not restart. luckly the wind was blowing me to where i wanted to be.

before today it did smoke a little white smoke when running, not visible during the day but the stern light made it visible at night.

i am assuming its my injection pump, the lift pump will put out enough fuel to leak out when i crack the fuel line at the injector. i know the fuel is clean and dry, i dont even get any water in the separator when running so the tank is dry.

when trying to crank with the throttle at idle the motor clanks some, it sounds better when cranking with the throttle at full

any thoughts, and who is cheap to rebuild the injection pump?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think that you need to do a little more investagating before you comdem the injection pump. I would start with a compression test and/or a cylinder leakage test before I went any further.
How many hours are on this engine ?
Last maintinence done ?
Good luck

Kary

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
With all the rain we been having, it may simply be a matter of condensation as the smoke is white.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I dont know what type of engine you have but trying to start it that much you may have run your battery down. If it does not get a good spin it will not get enough compression and heat to start especially if an older yanmar. Make sure your battery is charged and be careful cranking that much with your fresh water open as you may fill the exhaust with water and back fill the cylinders. Also check to make sure the stop cable is pushed in all the way and the cable did not slip at the engine connection. If it is not reset all the way that also will cause problems. I suspect your battery is low and old. You may want to take it out and go to battery place for a charge and test. that will tell you if you need a new one.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You better check the compression of your engine. If cold start is not possible, most probably it is due to loss of compression.

If you can crank it for 45 minutes, your battery is in good condition.

If it runs without problems after starting, there is nothing wrong with the fuel lines and the injector pump.

The throttle handle generally has no effect during cranking. It only regulates a flywheel which is active when the engine is running.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay first unknown hours on motor, before sept last year maintenance unknown, sense then its been done. less than 100 hours on impeller, oil, fuel filter etc, the place i get fuel goes thru hundreds of gallons a day, as they fuel the water taxis.

batteries are new this year, and they where fully charged, infact when i went to the boat tonight they still read 12.7.

tonight i
changed the fuel filter again, the old one looked new
tightened every fuel connection, bleed the whole system
took out about 2 cups of fuel out of the water separator it looked perfect

i got it running but it took lots of bleeding, and cranking, it will
start with lots of work, needs to be at full throttle
when it starts, once out of 3 or 4 tries, it will run at 1000 rpm till it starts to pick up, about 3 or 4 seconds, but again it needs full throttle
it will run like a kitten at 2k rpm, try to lower it to idle and it will stall in 5 seconds, it will idle at 1200 rpm.
put it in gear once when at 1500 rpm and it stayed running, but any lower it will stall.
power seems fine it will go way over 3 k when not in gear, but when in gear it maxes about 3k ( unless into head wind ), i run it around 22 to 25k ( before today )
and i was shutting off the water when doing all the cranking

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Compression?

What is the engine? Did you check the compression yet?

·
Shaken-not Stirred
118 Posts
I would remove the injector and have it serviced. From your description of the engines run profile, this sounds like the culprit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Here is how I would attack the problem.
Remove incoming fuel line from high pressure/injector pump. Attach a hose to a nipple, attach long nosed funnel to another end of hose. (Any hose will do the job, as long it is close in diameter)
Make sure the hose and funnel is clean. Get cleanest fuel, splash it into funnel. Start the engine.
Basically you are running the engine now by-passing most of the fuel system, using gravity feed.
If engine runs fine (chances are 9 out of 10) then you have a problem with fuel supply –lift pump, dirty fuel, bad filters, air is sipping in, something stuck in there..
If engine is not running fine, then, in order of probability
a. Compression
b. Fuel injector
c. High pressure pump

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well after talking to a yanmar guy he says to pull the pump and injector and get em checked out.

as for the ? of air on bleeding yes i did get air after changing the filter but once purged it was just fuel

no compression check check yet, and its a 1gm yanmar, first line in the OP

·
Registered
249 Posts
Had a similar problem on my Yanmar YSE8. I ended up needing a new head gasket and cleaned carbon out of the head, and piston top. Also set the valve lash and injector timing at the same time. It starts hot or cold in a second or two now.

·
Not just a member
111 Posts
1gm

Where are you located? I have a shop manual,compression guage and yanmar experience. I am in southern MD. Let me know know if you would like to borrow anything. Most likely you have a rusted out cylinder head, squirts water in the exhaust valve(very little) it puts the fire out so to speak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.