SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know all the advantages and disadvantages of bracket mounted vs. well mounted outboards.

Well Advantage over Outboard
  • Prop More likely to be in the water in a seaway.
  • Less likely to be stolen
  • Less likely to be damaged backing up
  • May be easier to reach
Well Disadvantage over Outboard
  • Takes up locker space
  • Harder or impossible to take out of water
  • Turbulence around hull hole slows boat down.
  • May Smell More
What did I miss or get wrong?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Disadvantages over a transom mounted outboard:

Engine may not work as well due to less air flow. :)

Boat may not be as maneuverable due to well restricting/preventing outboard from being used to steer.

May be more difficult to reach, depending on the well design.

May be more difficult to start the outboard in a well due to limited space to pull the starter cord.

May suffer from more corrosion related problems, since engines in wells are often not able to be lifted clear of the water—where outboards on some brackets can lift clear of the water.

Possibly greater risk of exhaust getting into boat, depending on well design.

More difficult to remove rope or line from outboard if prop gets wrapped

More drag due to the outboard not being lifted clear of the water.

Advantages:

Engine head is more protected from elements and salt water.

Engine less likely to get swamped

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Advantages:

Engine head is more protected from elements and salt water.

Engine less likely to get swamped
I would argue both of those. I have owned two boats with transom hung outboards and never got close to swamping them. Reason being you simply can't use them in any sort of sea, so they sit in their up & retracted positions. With a well mounted OB you might be able to use it in bigger seas which could result in the well getting filled up so to speak...

On the protection from the elements... rain is outboard friendly. UV is irrelevant other than for cosmetics on any quality outboard. Plus, I bet transom hung outboards get fresh water rinsed and flushed by their owners a lot more. But that is just a guess.

·
19,489 Posts
I think all outboards should be well-mounted..... otherwise they may fall off..;) :eek: :laugher

Seriously, though....

Disadvantages over a transom mounted outboard:

Engine may not work as well due to less air flow. :)
This is very true.. have seen people needing to run snorkels to the engine cowling to get enough air to run the motor reliably.

Wet, noisy & splashy if it's a cockpit well, if it's a lazarette well you're dealing with the air issue, access, etc.

Aesthetically, though, well mounted wins hands down.. nothing spoils the lines of a pretty little boat like an outboard perched on the transom.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I would like to know all the advantages and disadvantages of bracket mounted vs. well mounted outboards.

Well Advantage over Outboard
  • Prop More likely to be in the water in a seaway.
  • even with a long or Xlong shaft they still come out of the water, depending on conditions
  • Less likely to be stolen
  • maybe
  • Less likely to be damaged backing up
  • LOL true
  • May be easier to reach
  • True and that's could be a biggie
Well Disadvantage over Outboard
  • Takes up locker space
  • If you have a well, the space is already lost, also depending on transom, most likely worthless space anyhow
  • Harder or impossible to take out of water
  • Not at all
  • Turbulence around hull hole slows boat down.
  • not noticable, and only a 1 knot loss with motor in place under sail
  • May Smell More
  • True unless you get one the exhaust thru the hub, then not so much
What did I miss or get wrong?

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
The boat I had, the OB set in the well in such a way that the head and it's controls were easy to access. steering was done by the tiller, so there was no need to move the head, just the pull start, forward and reverse, choke and throttle was all you ever needed to touch.

Mine was easy to lift out, but I knew some people perfered motor lifts

When we first got the boat the PO had a transom mount and it was a PITA to operate it, so I cleaned up and redid the well.............big difference in the two mountings

·
Registered
515 Posts
My portager had a transom mount, and while it worked nicely, unless you were on the port side with the motor it was awkward to maneuver. Pulling up to a dock to starboard was a real pain.
The Ariel has a well, and it's positioned in such a way that the motor controls can be easily reached from either side, so it's no problem docking at all.
I don't think the space could be considered as wasted, the well gives you a place to store fuel and a battery with the motor while keeping it out of the cabin or anywhere that the fumes could get into living space.

Also keeps the weight of the motor closer to the center of the boat, not hung way out where it has a lot of leverage.

The only drawbacks I really see is the steering, you can't crank the motor off to the side to push the stern around, and you are often limited in physical size, especially when considering a 4 stroke.

And as stated earlier, it's also more attractive to see a nice clean transom, and less attractive to thieves, simply because there's more work to get them out.

Ken.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will not own another boat that has transon mount outboard. It will be stolen. Mine was last Sunday night. Not even a new motor. 1982 Johnson 7.5 hp 2 stroke.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Did you have a lock on it??
I will not own another boat that has transon mount outboard. It will be stolen. Mine was last Sunday night. Not even a new motor. 1982 Johnson 7.5 hp 2 stroke.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bolt cutters A lock only keeps the honest man honest.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Ours is on a bracket. (locked with a cable)

The wife tells me stories of starting the motor in the well of her family's Coronado 25.

OY!!

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Ouch, that sucks. One of the downsides of being at a marina, you have to lock your stuff up.

To the OP, also think about what kind of support you need on the transom for your outboard. I'm starting to get some gelcoat cracks from the stresses. I plan to re-inforce the transom from the inside when it warms up a touch.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all. As usual we have a pretty good summary of the issues.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The better outboard motor locks aren't really cuttable via bolt cutters. The real purpose of a lock isn't to stop a thief...it is to make the thief look for an easier target. :)

As they say, if you and a friend are being chased by a hungry tiger, you don't have to out run the tiger, you just have to out run your friend... :) THe tiger will catch him and stop...

Look at the Stazo locks... they're quite good, and I don't believe a bolt cutter would bother them much. :)

Bolt cutters A lock only keeps the honest man honest.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks SD for the post and image. I will buy one just as soon as I can afford another motor.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Glad to help...hopefully, this stops your next outboard from walking away. :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If they're gonna use a sawzall, there really isn't much you can do to prevent it.
I've seen them cut the motor, lock and transom right off the boat!!

Bastids!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Greetings,
I have an 8 hp long shaft Honda weighing 84 lbs. in the well of my Cape Dory 25.
Giving the opening at the bottom, there is no way that the well will flood.
To insure adequate air, the rear mounted hinges are blocked up.
The big downer is that the engine is too heavy for my 73 year old bones to lift.
Presently, I am assembling boom mounted tackle that will hopefully solve that problem.
What I do not like is the engine tiller sticking out of the access which prevents all but minimal steerage. I understand that Nissan's removable
tiller arm solves that problem.
Another problem with outboard motors for sailboats is that the correct prop pitch is hard to find. You want a 6" inch pitch, while most have 8 to 9" which makes the engine labor.

Dick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts